Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:41 AM   #11

Jättebra!!! Wow, I like them all...

The "yellow boost", beautiful shot... just love the way you have captured the ice... and the play of the sunlight in the picture... The exposure is spot on...

I really like the one with your beautiful Finnish dog! The dog adds to the photo, but it is the colours... they just look so soft, if that is the right word... but absolutely beautiful blues... you last once, different, but same beautiful blue with a touch of good sunlight... the clouds are really great. Once again, you done a great job! Many thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:01 AM   #12

Default Very nice shot, Torgny!

The "Yellow boost" in # 3 is phenomenal, Torgny. A very clever, and brave shot straight at the sun, with minimal reflections one so easily gets within the lens.
The texture of the snow is what amazes me, and that long crack in the ice...!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:53 PM   #13

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

maggo85,

Eetu,

Walter_S

Thank you for viewing and commenting/analyzing.

I'll try a thought: the eyes can/do get accustomed to a certain palette with strong colours and make them seem less strong, whereas cameras don't get "used to" a set of colours and therefore have a chance to show "true colours", whatever it is

But

Often when I stand in front of a scenery and take photos and then look at the LCD display for comparizon, the colours on the display are far more saturated than the reality

Often I set the in-camera saturation to minus two or even three to get the same colours on the display as in the reality

The question is: shouldn't I do that

(Philosophers on this sbject: John Locke; Immanuel Kant)

Torgny

From another of these walks on ice(s) , as of the 5th of the month March. I'm very sensitive to colours - too much and I'm almost about to throw up

This picture is on the virge of being unbearable to me. Is it "true" - well ...
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:55 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Torgny,

I really like the first shot with the shadow. the long shadow really adds a nice foreground interest to the expansive of snow, and really accentuates the desolate feeling of the shot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:47 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Torgny;1065961]

Often when I stand in front of a scenery and take photos and then look at the LCD display for comparizon, the colours on the display are far more saturated than the reality

Often I set the in-camera saturation to minus two or even three to get the same colours on the display as in the reality

The question is: shouldn't I do that

(Philosophers on this sbject: John Locke; Immanuel Kant)

Torgny

[QUOTE]

Torgny, with these shots, and the really other shot you made with the ferry, the sunset, reflection on the ice, wow, frankly, you can make whatever adjustment to saturation you want... I do understand where you are coming from, adding or subtracting the saturation affects the mood, etc. As I said, if I find a particular subject that I like I experiment with several pictures... one could take a auto-programme of what the camera sees, then put things on manual and take several photos, changing saturation, exposure, etc., etc. Yes, it is good to have a tripod.

Anyway, your idea is fine with me, I just like to go further and experiment as I am sure you do.

Thanks again!

Ned
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
...and then look at the LCD display for comparizon, the colours on the display are far more saturated than the reality
First about your experience with '(over)saturated' colors, as you write...
The truth is that when reality is compressed down to 3 inches diagonal, it must be saturated, but when you release the colors to its native size it will be it's normal self.

I do not find this last scene oversaturated, because I am walking about in nature - as you do - every day and winter-scenes often do have this saturated blue-color. It comes from the cold, somehow it seems, but in reality it is the angle of the sun shining down on this cold place called Scandinavia, breaking the color-rays in a special manner - I think.....

But then I am not familiar with Locke or Kant!

So, let down your shoulders, Torgny and show us unreduced stauration-colors!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
After sundown with Sirkka, one of the dogz, a wolf-look-alike az they zay
Just an idea... you have Sirkka posing for you, my friend. I wonder what it would have been like to use a telephoto and zoom in on Sirkka to get her a little up close and yet capture the ice, and beautiful sky, and all... but dogs don't pose to long... I am just thinking out loud.

Really, Torgny, thanks for these beautiful shots.

Ned
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:10 AM   #18

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Just an idea... you have Sirkka posing for you, my friend. I wonder what it would have been like to use a telephoto and zoom in on Sirkka to get her a little up close and yet capture the ice, and beautiful sky, and all... but dogs don't pose to long... I am just thinking out loud.

Really, Torgny, thanks for these beautiful shots.

Ned

Ned,

Actually sometimes she really does does pose too long. Like many beautiful beings (including some women; but tjhe latter have yet to meet up with the standard of my canine dames) she's fully aware of her beauty and uses that fact to her benefit

I have some hundred of pictures like the one you would like to see. I'll see what I can do

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:52 AM   #19

Many thanks! Sounds great!

Ned
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:53 AM   #20

The last is my absolute fav, Stunning!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote