Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:23 PM   #1

Default From the Graveyard

I hope #2 is not overdone.

Natchez, MS Cemetery:

Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2

Photo (2) I like the effect that you are trying to achieve in this photo. Look at the sky towards the middle right. That area does not look natural to me. Same for the right corner of the sky. What kind of processing did you use? It almost looks like you were doing battle with noise in the sky. If you blur to much it can cause the effects that I see in your sky...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i like the effect you are after in #2. it just might be a tad bit strong, as Ancient pointed out, its strong to the point of introducing noise.

i also think its framed a bit tightly. do you see how you cut the tree off kind of abruptly as well as some of the gravestones. had you framed it a little bit looser, and maybe used just a little bit lower perspective, that could have helped the mood as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, the framing on #2 is what it is - no crop here; I should have framed wider. Actually, none of the shots is cropped.

I added some grain on #2 also. Might be what shows as noise?

I am in no way experienced in PP. I know that the default B&W conversions offered in PP software are not the best way to convert an image to B&W. This was initially converted from RAW in DxO by turning down all channels besides the Red (which I boosted), then PP further in LR3 beta.

I am all ears for advise on the best B&W conversion.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos K View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, the framing on #2 is what it is - no crop here; I should have framed wider. Actually, none of the shots is cropped.

I added some grain on #2 also. Might be what shows as noise?

I am in no way experienced in PP. I know that the default B&W conversions offered in PP software are not the best way to convert an image to B&W. This was initially converted from RAW in DxO by turning down all channels besides the Red (which I boosted), then PP further in LR3 beta.

I am all ears for advise on the best B&W conversion.
Your photographs fall into the "Art" catagory, and I'm not going to make a comment on that.

But it is possible to eliminate noise in just one channel, and often enough the noise IS in just one channel.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote