Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonholland89 View Post
yeah would love to see what you can make of any of them.

2 high res versions for you in these links if ud rather them than thumbnails.

http://tinypic.com/m/9k9qox/4
http://tinypic.com/m/9k9qow/4
Mark is right in saying that there is "some" loss. Has to be. But in my opinion the loss is not visible, whereas the positive effect is.

You can be the judge as to how much was lost - I also increased the contrast and decreased the brightness, although the main effect was achieved by Noise Ninja.

(Edited In) I forgot to post the originals. All I did to them was to resize...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:24 PM   #12

nope. not a stupid question. i for one dont actually know... on my camera wouldnt even know how to check that. but then surely IS would be for a decent lense? or an slr? to my knowledge i havnt even seen this on my camera settings. the only thing that comes close is an IS factor (Tv*factor) setting in my chdk menu. min being 1, max being 8.
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:25 PM   #13

and wow dave... that is one hell of an improvement. cheers for that. will def looking into getting that for later star pics. def wanna keep trying
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:30 PM   #14

Quote:
and wow dave... that is one hell of an improvement. cheers for that. will def looking into getting that for later star pics. def wanna keep trying
Noise Ninja (and the others I mentioned) allow full control over how much noise is removed. At the default setting it started to eliminate some stars...

But at a low setting, I don't believe I lost any of the stars.

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:33 PM   #15

The Image Stabilization can actually be causing some problems on a tripod no matter what kind of camera. On a tripod it will induce shake, and with sensor shift IS system it may cause the rectangular motion you were describing. I know when I goof, forgetting to turn it off on a tripod, on my night shot of building and citiyscape I get a bit of rectangular motion blur in the shot when I use a zoom.

Your camera A720IS has stabilization, and to turn it off you will need to go into the menu setting to turn it off.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:50 PM   #16

Ok, Dave cheers for the info, have downloaded the trial version of NN, might buy the full version later on, seems nice and simple to use. what i cant figure out tho, is how you got the picture so dark and seemingly clear, i can get it clear, but the blacks still seem too 'original' like.

shoturtle, thank you for your info too. just checked the normal menu lol... it was in there. it was set to continuous. so will turn it off next time and see if it helps. cheers
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:59 PM   #17

How it helps with you stars shooting.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Ok, Dave cheers for the info, have downloaded the trial version of NN, might buy the full version later on, seems nice and simple to use. what i cant figure out tho, is how you got the picture so dark and seemingly clear, i can get it clear, but the blacks still seem too 'original' like.

shoturtle, thank you for your info too. just checked the normal menu lol... it was in there. it was set to continuous. so will turn it off next time and see if it helps. cheers
If you recall I also said that I increased the contrast and decreased the brighness. Doing this before applying noise ninja increases the noise, but doing it after results in the dark, dark night...

Make sure to zoom into the scene while adjusting the strenth of the filter - otherwise the program will decide that the dimmer stars are noise.

Dark
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:22 AM   #19

shoturtle is right you should never use IS with a tripod, ill bet that it was
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:31 PM   #20

will go out again soon and try and get some new pics without the IS. too cloudy at the mo tho