Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default Start of Spring -- East River and Bryant Park

I took some pictures yesterday at Bryant Park and at a new discovery of mine, the East River Esplanade on 37th Street.

#1.


#2.


#3. 59th Street Bridge is in the distance. The UN Building is on the left.


#4. Entrance to the East River Esplanade is under FDR Drive.


#5.


#6.


#7. Getting ready for spring. This was the ice skating rink this past winter.


#8.


#9.


Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

That is a pretty neat spot for photos of the east river, I bicycle up that way sometimes. It is not that busy, so you can get some nice shots without people. The city's plan is to have a continuous scenic pedestrian ring around manhattan island for people to enjoy the 32 mile loop. There are some great spots for shooting if you ever head up under the GW and the upper end of dykemen by columbia's football field.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
I took some pictures yesterday at Bryant Park and at a new discovery of mine, the East River Esplanade on 37th Street.


Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
I like all but two and three, in which the HDR is a little too strong. However, all of them are beautiful.

Here's a place you might not know about. Give yourself a treat and go over to Tudor City. It's the kind of landscaping you do well.

Make a left on 41 street off Second Ave and you'll hit Tudor City Place. There's a cute little park, and there are also overlooks of the East River, the UN, LIC, etc...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is a pretty neat spot for photos of the east river, I bicycle up that way sometimes. It is not that busy, so you can get some nice shots without people. The city's plan is to have a continuous scenic pedestrian ring around manhattan island for people to enjoy the 32 mile loop. There are some great spots for shooting if you ever head up under the GW and the upper end of dykemen by columbia's football field.
Thanks, shoturtle.

To those unfamiliar with the layout of Manhattan, it’s really a vertical island sandwiched between two rivers -- Hudson River on the west and East River on the east.

Whereas along the Hudson River there are pedestrian paths where New Yorkers bike, jog, stroll, etc., the East River side has almost none thanks to the FDR Drive running almost the entire length. You can’t expect to just keep walking east and hit East River. Chances are your view will be obstructed by FDR Drive. You can only do that downtown and in certain spots like 37th Street where the entrance to the East River Esplanade goes under FDR Drive.

I am not aware of the plan for the 32-mile loop walk that shoturtle mentioned. That would be great.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I like all but two and three, in which the HDR is a little too strong. However, all of them are beautiful.

Here's a place you might not know about. Give yourself a treat and go over to Tudor City. It's the kind of landscaping you do well.

Make a left on 41 street off Second Ave and you'll hit Tudor City Place. There's a cute little park, and there are also overlooks of the East River, the UN, LIC, etc...

Dave
Thanks, Dave.

I think I know the place you’re referring to. If it’s the same park (actually, two parks -- one on either side of 42nd Street), then I’ve taken pictures there and also the “wall” where I get a good view of East River looking south.

But the pictures I took of the parks and of the river were just OK -- to me they didn’t match the excitement I had. I imagine if I show the pictures around people would just say, “So it’s a park with some trees and benches. What’s special about it?” So I didn’t post them. I didn’t know how to capture the oasis of solitude that is pretty much all my own right there in busy Manhattan.

Regarding some of the pics above especially #3, my wife actually agrees with you. It’s actually a compromise between what I wanted and what she wants . I brightened the skies a little bit because she said it looks like it was going to rain.

If this can serve as reasoning for my offbeat post-processing, when I pp landscapes, I am always thinking “desktop wallpaper”. I love the wallpapers my kids have been downloading for years some anime some vampire-themed all CGI-surreal. (And you can say that’s the kind of art I dream to craft expertly someday...) But I with my graying hair, however, have to not be as diabolical with my wallpapers so that I can act more like my age.

I do, however, wear skinny-tight low-rise jeans because I think they’re very trendy. Altogether now -- ew!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

#6 and #8 are good examples of looking at things from a different perspective... rather than just while standing. Thanks for sharing the photos. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

VV,

Most people do not realized, but actually Manhattan is sandwich between 3 rivers and NY harbor, Hudson, East River and the Harlem River.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, Dave.

I think I know the place you’re referring to. If it’s the same park (actually, two parks -- one on either side of 42nd Street), then I’ve taken pictures there and also the “wall” where I get a good view of East River looking south.
They're actually Above 42 street Once you go into Tudor City on 41 Street, you walk north on Tudor City place, and the next east west street is 43.

The overlooks (one on 41, the other where 42 street would be) are actually 100 feet or so, above First Avenue.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
vvcarpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
They're actually Above 42 street Once you go into Tudor City on 41 Street, you walk north on Tudor City place, and the next east west street is 43.

The overlooks (one on 41, the other where 42 street would be) are actually 100 feet or so, above First Avenue.

Dave
Yes, I think I know which place you're referring to. If it's the same, I've been there several times, actually.

On my walk back from the East River Esplanade, I saw for the first time how high the overlook was. You're right, it looks like a 100 feet rise. I referred to it as the "wall" because viewed from street level, it looks just like a tall brick wall, sort of like the walls of an ancient Roman fort where the legions were stationed (probably today's equivalent of U.S. military bases abroad) and there would be guards atop looking down.

I've amassed some photos of Tudor City but didn't think much of them. Thanks a lot for bringing up interest on Tudor City. Now I can post them . I will create a separate thread for Tudor City in Landscapes.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

I like your newest set vv - thank you for showing the "other side" of Manhattan... most of the time I see shots from the Hudson-River-side

What I like best are the perspectives in #6 and #8 - your Bryant Park shots are always nice to look at and very well executed!
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.