Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default The Magic of Water

Went back out tonite since we had a little texture in the sky and studied a different rock wave break. We had some choppier water which lended itself to a little more dramatic water. (50D and Tokina 12-24)

#1 "Frothy Water at Dusk"

#2 "Painterly Smooth"

#3 "A Touch of Contrast in Mono"

(C&C always welcome with my stuff)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Hards,

I really like the black and white one and the 1st one.

The 2nd one has great color, and the angle work well with the landscape format. The way the rocks leads the eye along to different aspect of the shot as you move left to right. This one is my favorite.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3

I also like the B&W best. Very nice!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
spy

I'm liking #2 very much. Great job of using a long exposure to gain the effect you were after.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Hards,

I really like the black and white one and the 1st one.

The 2nd one has great color, and the angle work well with the landscape format. The way the rocks leads the eye along to different aspect of the shot as you move left to right. This one is my favorite.
Thank you Shoturtle. I really like how #2 turned out as well, it really gave the smooth water effect i was after. the clouds added interest, but also made it difficult to get enough detail on the rocks for my exposures that were 20-30 seconds. its a delicate balance on these shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I also like the B&W best. Very nice!
thank you WalterC, the bit shorter exposure on these showed off a little more texture from the rough water, especially in this b&w

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
I'm liking #2 very much. Great job of using a long exposure to gain the effect you were after.
Thank you Spy. As I mentioned, i really like how this one turned out with the 20s exposure. i am really enjoying shooting these long exposure water shots. and since its only about 10 minutes from my house, i can easily get there after work in time.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:19 AM   #6

Alright the evidence is in. One must move away from St. Louis to become more creative. It must be the pollution or acid rain that is holding me back.

I'm the only one who nit picked one of your photos. Your response was I'm waiting for the right conditions. Stay tuned. Now it is payback time and by the way the crow was awful. Well, all I can say my friend is that you have some great photographs. Into the Blue, Frothy water at dusk, and Painterly smooth are among the best photos I have ever seen of lake Erie. This was accomplished within a weeks time. One can only imagine (and I can imagine big time) what you will be able to do within a year. Great series....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:07 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Sweet, and agree number 2 works really well. I was hoping you had left the horizon not straight or something so I could pull you up on that but nope all works really well.

How did you find shooting with the Canon after being out with the Oly?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:28 AM   #8

I'm sorry Dustin, all I can say is STUNNING.... especially the b&w version! All the other things had been said from the folks above me

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:19 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Alright the evidence is in. One must move away from St. Louis to become more creative. It must be the pollution or acid rain that is holding me back.

I'm the only one who nit picked one of your photos. Your response was I'm waiting for the right conditions. Stay tuned. Now it is payback time and by the way the crow was awful. Well, all I can say my friend is that you have some great photographs. Into the Blue, Frothy water at dusk, and Painterly smooth are among the best photos I have ever seen of lake Erie. This was accomplished within a weeks time. One can only imagine (and I can imagine big time) what you will be able to do within a year. Great series....
Ancient. thank you very much not only for the kind words, but for challenging me to reshoot with some texture in the sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Sweet, and agree number 2 works really well. I was hoping you had left the horizon not straight or something so I could pull you up on that but nope all works really well.

How did you find shooting with the Canon after being out with the Oly?
Mark, thank you, i am also quite partial to #2. I found myself missing the LCD for shooting off the tripod, i got soaking wet kneeling down trying to see through the OVF on a low mounted tripod when a big wave crashed in.. lol.. that water was darn cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
I'm sorry Dustin, all I can say is STUNNING.... especially the b&w version! All the other things had been said from the folks above me
Maggo, thank you so much. i appreciate the comments.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Mark, thank you, i am also quite partial to #2. I found myself missing the LCD for shooting off the tripod, i got soaking wet kneeling down trying to see through the OVF on a low mounted tripod when a big wave crashed in.. lol.. that water was darn cold!
LOL, so I'm sure to warm yourself up you had to go and find somewhere nice for a beer and some food

Do you not use live view on the 50D.... it does have it doesn't it?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote