Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1
spy

Default Mount Lorrete Ponds, Kananaskis

Having taken several dozen shots of the area, there's just so many I still need to go through. Here is one more from the Kananaskis area near my home.

This photo was taken with the 4 stop ND filter. I really enjoy using this filter as it can be used to achieve drama and mood that can't be done without it. Yes, you need to stop down the scene if it's incredibly bright but if it's not bright as in this case the sun was mostly behind a lot of cloud cover, the 4 stop ND filter adds to the shadow areas and balances off the highlights very nicely.

In this photo, I was going for a softer look of the clouds, sky and water, but I wanted the detail of the rocks on the bottom left corner of the lake and in the shadow of the trees on the lake to stand out so in layers, I used the lasso tool and selected the water then created an hdr of the water which drew out the lake bottom detail.

5DMII, 24 - 70 2.8, f22, ISO 50
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am sure it is different in the original or on print, but at this small size, i am having trouble making out the details in the rocks underneath the water.

i am sure that would make a big difference in my impression of the photo
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:47 AM   #3

Really like the sky and the way you brought out details on the water surface and ground... how did you make a hdr out of the selection from the water?

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:06 AM   #4
spy

The details are great when looking at a 63 mb TIFF file but when you have to post it here and resize down to 200kb or so, it doesn't do it justice at all.

The trick to doing a selected hdr is to open two layers in ps. I use the cs4 program so when I am looking at two layers, I select with the lasso tool what I want to work on, feather that edge down so it isn't so 'crisp' a line then cut and move it over to the other blank layer. Once over there an hdr can be made of it then once the desired dynamic range is created, move it back over and flatten the image.

It's a lengthy process but once you get past the frustrating parts it comes together nicely.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:45 AM   #5

wow... I can hear the chirping from the birds in the forest, the water flowing seamlessly down the stream...

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote