Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:59 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Front Approaching #44

Had a cloud bank rolling in this evening, so I went out in hopes of catching it.

Olympus E-PL1
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:54 AM   #2

I like the light on the rocks and the water is very smooth. The sky on the other hand seems to be moving to fast for the rest of the scene...

Last edited by Ancientritual; Apr 22, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

hi ancient, thanks for your comments.

that was actually what was so interesting about this evening. it was dead clear and calm all day long, then just ahead of dusk, this cloud bank comes rolling in, and doing it pretty quickly too. so the 30 second exposure was able to capture movement of the frontline moving in.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Another nice shot Dustin, see it was worth doing some PP before the end of the day

I have an idea for you, how about starting a series taken from the same spot, same focal length/composition at different times to capture the changing moods of the lake, then with your new found video editing skills you could turn the photos into a slide show (and post the individual ones here).

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I have an idea for you, how about starting a series taken from the same spot, same focal length/composition at different times to capture the changing moods of the lake, then with your new found video editing skills you could turn the photos into a slide show (and post the individual ones here).
That would be really interesting Dustin - maybe you could try that

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:08 AM   #6
Super Moderator

mark,

i was actually throwing around some ideas in that same idea. i was going to set-up a spot, then photograph the camera on tripod so i could replicate it. and then shoot at each different season of the year. but i could also shoot at different times of day/weather as well.

thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Dustin, this is a beautiful exposure! The crooked sign however keeps making me want to check the horizon for alignment (which it is)....

I realize, for some, the sign makes the image; for me, I think I would like it cloned out.

Once again, stunning exposure!!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Jehan,

Thank you for your comments. Its funny i kept rechecking the horizon too because of that same reason.

I was wondering when someone would mention the sign. I left it in, since it made the shot a little different, but I can definitely understand why some people may have preferred it cloned out.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9
spy

I'm liking the sign....the blue tones add a rich feel to the photo. Now, for your next assignment, ...get as minimal as you can, in the middle of the night, under some phase of moon to give you the light you need for details and try for a 2 minute shot or shoot 90 images at 30 seconds each and stack them in cs3/4 for some great long star trails!! (but no moon for star trails)
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
I'm liking the sign....the blue tones add a rich feel to the photo. Now, for your next assignment, ...get as minimal as you can, in the middle of the night, under some phase of moon to give you the light you need for details and try for a 2 minute shot or shoot 90 images at 30 seconds each and stack them in cs3/4 for some great long star trails!! (but no moon for star trails)
thanks kevin.

i am not even sure what the sign is for, nor what the 44 means, but i kind of liked it too

yea, as soon as i can get out of the city far enough, i am wanting to do that shot. gonna have to consult my moon phase calendar!