Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thank you, bahadir! Yes the air was refreshingly cool.
Pictures can sometimes cast a different clime from what actually is. But in the case of the falls here, what you see is really what you get.
You're quite right about the 'sometimes fickle' side of the images. Well, since photography is a means communication also, it is largely thanks to your good skill of presenting your impression there, and , eh, perhaps partly due to my experience in hiking : )

Btw, I shoud say I enjoyed the additional pictures, especially that of the well exposed cave -shot at DRO (Dynamic Range Optimizer) mode perhaps- which reminded me of the well known cave allegory!

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:43 AM   #12

Quote:
We took pictures at Raymondskill Falls. The falls at 180 feet is the tallest in Pennsylvania. It is only about 3 miles from the town of Milford, Pennsylvania where the Grey Towers and The Columns Museum are located.

So in and about the small 0.5 square mile (1.3 sq. km.) town of Milford with a population of only about a thousand are already three I would say not so minor attractions. Not to mention the Poconos which has been a popular honeymoon destination for decades in the United States.

If you visit New York City and at some point “have had enough” of the city, Poconos with its laidback country atmosphere may be the worthwhile addition to your itinerary.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

These are great, very clear... just wish the shutter speed was just a hair slower with regard to the water.... I don't like water that is "frozen" in movement, nor am I a fan of water that no longer looks like water...

Great photos.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:21 AM   #13

Thanks a lot, bahadir. That's the first time I've heard of DRO but yes that sounds like what I was doing. When I went inside the small cave (it's really hardly a cave, just a small room to crouch in with two "windows" and no other exit), the first thing that came to mind was "HDR!" Here are the two "windows":

#9)

#10)

I have not done any serious hiking. I basically just walk in to a trail and see where it leads. When I told a friend of my lone exploits at an undeveloped NY state park last month when I had to hurry back as it was getting dark, he admired my bravery but added it was foolhardy. He told me to always bring a "flashlight and maybe a taser or tear gas... and try not to go alone - you'll never know if you'll need your companion for first aid."
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:25 AM   #14

These last two shots are really cool.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:54 AM   #15

Thanks, Ned! Yes I always make it a point to shoot water at least twice one with fast speed (for frozen splashes) and one with slow (for milky smooth waterfalls). This time I only noticed I forgot to shoot with slow speed when I got home.

I thought I'd add one more:

#11) Pool above the falls. People were actually swimming in it in swimsuits and shorts when we arrived.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:55 AM   #16

Thanks, Daniel. I can't wait to show it to some friends to say, "I've been in a cave!"
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:05 AM   #17

Quote:
When I went inside the small cave (it's really hardly a cave, just a small room to crouch in with two "windows" and no other exit), the first thing that came to mind was "HDR!" Here are the two "windows"....
...When I told a friend of my lone exploits at an undeveloped NY state park last month when I had to hurry back as it was getting dark, he admired my bravery but added it was foolhardy. He told me to always bring a "flashlight and maybe a taser or tear gas... and try not to go alone - you'll never know if you'll need your companion for first aid."
I wonder why you didn't post them before : ) I find the texture of the rocks when combined with the atmosphere inside enhanced by complementary colours so intriguing!....which even calls for 'model shooting' there next time (a good example of which we recently admired in the forum), proving with a companion also, as adviced

Quote:
Thanks a lot, bahadir. That's the first time I've heard of DRO "
Looking at the exif I thought you shot them with the Sony A350, featuring the highly regarded DRO.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/page19.asp

Anyway, I'd still prefer blending differently exposed images using the tripod, rather than the practical on board camera solutions.

Cheers,
Bahadir

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 11, 2010 at 3:08 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
I wonder why you didn't post them before : ) I find the texture of the rocks when combined with the atmosphere inside enhanced by complementary colours so intriguing!
I thought they'd be un-interesting. Don't get me wrong I was excited when I saw the "windows". I didn't post because what usually excites me -- a geek -- is boring to most. I forget we're all "geeks" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Looking at the exif I thought you shot them with the Sony A350, featuring the highly regarded DRO.
I didn't even know there was such a thing. I just checked my camera -- I had DRO set at "standard". The other 2 options are "off" and "advanced". I'll play around with it. Thanks a lot for letting me know about DRO!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:32 PM   #19

i absolutely love places like this... you've definitely caught the feel of the place!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:44 AM   #20

Thanks a lot, squirl033!