Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:17 AM   #1

Default Autumn Barn

Hello everyone! Well, My first post in ( Digital Art ) doesn't seem to be getting any response, so maybe I'll have better luck here. Any and all comments welcome. Thank You!http://jack_nickelless.tripod.com/ja...ipics/id2.html
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:55 AM   #2

I like the grass in the foreground. Pretty good picture with potential. I like old barn pictures. I think I would try a few different angles however. When did you take it? Looks like early moring. If so, I'd wait till there is more light on the barn. As it is now, I think the barn could use a bit of light to bring out more character in the barn.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:44 AM   #3

Michael is right, but in the meantime, you might see what happens if you lighten the middle tones. If you use Photoshop, you can do this in Levels.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 1:00 PM   #4

Hi Michael, you have a good eye. It was late evening though, instead of early morning, but I assume the light would be the same in both cicumstances, just in opposite directions. Anyway, thank you for your comments. Hello to you too Barbara. I do have Photoshop, but I am like a total rookie trying to use it. I did in fact use PS to spike up the color a bit. Anyway, with help from people like you and Michael, I will get better at using PS and my camera. I really appreciate your input. Oh yeah, Michael, I did in fact take different angle pics of the barn that day, but the other angle I got actually had the setting sun in it and I think it was too bright, and it still didn't do much for the barn itself, but it sure did light up that grass in the foreground nicely. Thanks again you two, and have a great day.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 1:21 PM   #5

Jack--

Making sure you always keep your original photo files tucked away safely, just play like mad with Photoshop. It's a combination of that and several (always too expensive) books that makes all the difference.

Go to Image>Adjustments>Levels. It'll bring up a delightfully confusing histogram. The pointer on the right, when slid toward the left, will lighten the lights, and the pointer on the left will darken the darks when slid to the right. The pointer in the center controls mid-tones. Bring up a photo, then Levels, and move that center slider to the left and see what it does. Do it again, this time sliding it to the right.

Levels has rescued many a photo for all of us. 8)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:31 AM   #6

Jack,

After a few minutes fooling around with the levels adjustment in Photoshop Elements, this is the result.

The barn shows more detail.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 3:39 AM   #7

Hi there Selvin, At first glance I didn't notice a difference. When I compared them side by side though, I did see the improvment. It wasn't drastic, but was an improvement. I appreciate that pal. Hey, we would make a good team. I could take some lousy pictures, and then you could make them alright. :lol: I know, I gotta learn to do this stuff on my own. Anyway, I do appreciate it.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:37 AM   #8

Wow :!: You did a good job of correcting the barn. I was able to tell a difference right away. You were able to lighten the barn without over exposing the sky. Im my opionion, I'd probably add a bit more contrast (doesn't seem contasty enough for me) and I'd play around with cropping it some. I like the grass in the foreground, but in a way I wonder how it would look with a little less grass .... I'd be careful of cropping too much though because then you'd just have a snap shot of a barn.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:40 AM   #9

If cropping some of the bottom of the picture doesn't help, I think I'd play around with attempting to crop a little sky since there isn't much excitement in the sky anyway. As I said before, it's a good shot though and the adjustments to the barn really helped.