Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:10 PM   #1
spy

Default Grotto Canyon, Kananaskis

Last Sunday I packed up my gear and headed to a favourite "winter" spot my family and I have hiked before but strapping on boots to walk on the frozen creek up to the falls is one thing, now I'd have to hop boulders for nearly 1/2 a mile to get to the falls. Anticipating the worse and quite nervous, I asked hikers coming from the canyon what hiking the creek was like. The first couple of hikers bailed and didn't bother to go all the way saying the water was fast flowing. They also looked a bit wet and irritated which added to my anticipation and nervousness. As storm clouds were moving into the area and thunderstorms were in the forecast, one hiker mentioned that when that system moves in, that I should quickly get out of the canyon to higher ground.

Most of the canyon is quite narrow with no where to go but hop boulders, criss crossing the creek many times. I did at least plan to get my feet wet so I packed a pair of dry shoes and socks in the truck for when I got back.

I was blessed again by the clouds moving in which cut down on the intense sun light and by the time it was time to head back, the storm system was gaining momentum and the wind was picking up and the clouds had totally blocked the harsh sun light.

The very last 100 meters up to the falls is probably the most difficult as I had to pack my camera bag which weighs 20 lbs on my back while trying to get a steady foot hold on a very steep, smooth and wet surface. My leg muscles burned under the constant strain of manoeuvring over this difficult surface as well as maintaining my foothold throughout the entire shoot at the falls.

The tripod came very handy doubling as a walking stick to get back down as a slid crouch all the way down the wet slippery surface using my tripod to stop me when I needed to.

Hope you enjoy the shots as much as I did taking them!

5dMII, 24-70 2.8, 4 stop ND Hoya Filter (used to slow the shutter to create water flow)
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Jun 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:54 AM   #2

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the story behind it (adds to understanding of the photos having their 'place').

I particularly like photos:
# 2 - I often like 'portrait' orientation landscapes. The contrast of the flowing water with the conifers captures my imagination well
# 5 - those sun beams are just amazing - with the powerful mountains as backdrop - and road adding interest.

Is that ice in the foreground in photo #3?

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:24 AM   #3
spy

Thanks Paul, yes, that is ice in the foreground. There was still quite a bit of it at the end of the trail.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:40 AM   #4

Kevin, there's a thread out right now asking what makes a great photograph. The OP need only look here. While I don't do many landscapes, and you do, I still appreciate a great landscape shot, and I must say, the last one is breath-taking. Very nice..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:01 PM   #5

The scenery is really great , thanks for sharing those photos.

However - I'd go with a more dramatic/spectacular look, something like this:

Maybe it's just my TFT-monitor, but I miss the (expected) strong contrast in your image. The scenery makes more sense to me that way. Hope you don't mind the post-processing.

regards,
Th.

Last edited by thkn777; Jun 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:47 PM   #6
spy

Thanks Robert and Th for the comments. Th, no problem showing me your rendition. It is a slight adjustment and looks great to.

Robert, I'd like to read that thread if you could paste the link.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Thanks Robert and Th for the comments. Th, no problem showing me your rendition. It is a slight adjustment and looks great to.

Robert, I'd like to read that thread if you could paste the link.

Thanks!

Kevin
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...eat-photo.html

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote