Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:43 AM   #1

Default Lower Lewis River Falls

decided since i'd never been there, to visit Lower Lewis River Falls today. of course, when i arrived, the falls was in bright sunlight... figures. but i made the best of it, and managed a couple of decent shots. not as nice as they'd have been with more even light, but under the circumstances, i thought they came out rather well. what most people don't tell you when they show those shots taken from the edge of the river, is that there's only a very steep trail that ends in about a 6-foot, moss-covered, wet rock that you have to climb/slide/fall down to get to the river, and then you're IN the river! to get from there to where you can set up a tripod requires wading about 50 yards upstream... and that water is COLD! but the cold wasn't as bad as the slick, treacherous footing... but i made it safely, managed to avoid getting anything wet that shouldn't be, and even got a few shots from down there... i think next time i go, i'll do it on a cloudy day, and wait till later in the year - the falls will look more "graceful" at low flow in about September.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:30 AM   #2

Nice ones Squirl033

Thanks for the story behind it as well (makes it all more 'worthwhile' to view!

I particularly like the angle of the 2nd one, feels more 'majestic' imho.

How did you manage to get the exposure so slow in such bright light (did you use a filter?)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Nice ones Squirl033

Thanks for the story behind it as well (makes it all more 'worthwhile' to view!

I particularly like the angle of the 2nd one, feels more 'majestic' imho.

How did you manage to get the exposure so slow in such bright light (did you use a filter?)

Paul
thanks, Paul... yep, two of 'em. had to stack a 4ND and a polarizer to slow the shutter enough...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
spy

Love reading stories. Reading it was like being there with you. So glad to hear you used a couple filters which really turned a bad lighting situation into something you can use. You found a 'gold mine' there and do hope you go back when the lighting is more favourable for you.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5

thanks, Spy... i'm thinking of making another trip down there this fall, when the leaves are turning, and the river is a bit lower... should make for a more "gracefuL" falls, and with the sun lower in the sky, and the odds of at least partly cloudy days increasing, the light might be better as well.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:02 PM   #6

Both shots look like candidates for HDR. I too really like the angle of your second shot. Too many times people shoot falls and only get part. Its nice to see it all.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:48 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Rocky,

Especially like the beautiful green water colour in the first picture and the faint water steam in the second

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Both shots look like candidates for HDR. I too really like the angle of your second shot. Too many times people shoot falls and only get part. Its nice to see it all.

actually, these ARE HDR... not overdone, like some folks like, but enough. metering on the falls, on a bright sunny day, even with ND and polarizer on, meant the rest of the image was pretty underexposed. had to run this through HDR processing to bring out details in what was originally a very dark foreground...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com