Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
spy

Default Run for Cover

We've been having so much rain and just all round bad weather all summer so far so yesterday I packed up the gear and went for a drive north of Calgary for a while to see what I could get. The photo shows a rain storm coming in fast and I was driving in that rain and found the edge of it when I drove up to these little outbuildings. I quickly parked and set up for the shot to only take two photos before being instantly showered on.

5dMII, 24-70 2.8

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:21 PM   #2

very nice picture, what post processing did you do to this?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:51 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Kevin, you've done it again (did we expect anything else?), great shot/composition/exposure and editing. I really would love to shoot landscape like you and would be wonderful to see what you could spot in Egypt to shoot that my eye just can't.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:11 PM   #4
spy

Thanks for the comments. Mark you know I'd pay you a visit if I had a ticket to go spend the time. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be showing me around!!

The editing starts in CS5 Camera RAW as all my photos are shoot in RAW. The more editing that is done in RAW, the better quality the jpeg will be when finally saved.

I shot the image to expose the sky properly which created dark outbuildings and foreground so in Camera RAW, I selected the graduating ND tool and drew it across the horizon line which properly exposed the foreground. Did noise removal in Camera RAW then saved the image as TIFF.

Then selecting the lasso tool, I drew around the outbuildings, selected 30% feather so as to not have a hard lasso edge then used the dodge tool to lighten the structures. Did some dodge and burn to the clouds, threw in some noise in the central area to give the clouds some extra drama and that is all. This is not an HDR.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:36 PM   #5

Great lighting, they might say you where lucky being "there and then" but you made your own luck here and it paid.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Great lighting, they might say you where lucky being "there and then" but you made your own luck here and it paid.
based on luck alone that would make Spy the luckiest member here with the number of great atmospheric photos he captures that always blow us away. LOL

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:34 PM   #7
spy

Ok, I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket and when I win, first stop......Egypt. Mark, you available to go desert stomping?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:27 PM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL, you really wouldn't like the desert this time of year, it's hot enough in the city without going deeper into the wilderness. Well, if you win big and we are taken by helicopter I could be persuaded.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.