Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Arden Valley Road

I took these pictures at around 4 pm at Harriman State Park in New York. I intended to take pictures of the lakes but being that the sun was still high and the temperature humid and in the 90s, there were still plenty of bathers and canoers so I didn’t to preserve their privacy. However, Arden Valley Road, the road I took turned out to be quite picturesque.

My pp included DPHDR and then some steps I read from a “Digital Photography” bargain book I found at Borders Bookstore. ($3.99 with plenty of tutorials, published 2001, sorry I forgot the title but I’ll look it up if anyone’s interested.) The steps are really simple, maybe a good introduction to layering, and probably already being done here by some posters.

Basically, I create two layers of the image -- one sharpened and one blurred. The blurred one is on top of the sharpened one (not sure if it matters). I then set opacity of the blurred image to 50%-80% (depending on my liking) then set blending mode to “multiply”. The combination of the sharpened and semi-opaque (or semi-transparent) images creates an interesting result I think because the final image still has some sharpness to it but with a sort of glow, “dreamy” I’d say. And because it’s dreamy, I crop it wide to produce a cinematic (or romantic?) effect.

I’m curious to know what you think. Thank you for looking! I can almost imagine Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn tap dancing across the road while I screech to a halt to avoid hitting them...

#1) Start of Arden Valley Road coming from Route 17. The bright road center is a bridge (overpass) crossing Interstate 87 below it. Once you cross I-87, you're in Harriman State Park.

#2) A sign (not shown) warns motorists that the five-mile road is rough. It's paved but hasn’t been maintained.

#3) Looking down. This incline is actually much steeper than what the photo shows.

#4) Looking up. Large boulders occasionally dot the landscape.

#5) Here is the DPHDR output of #1 with no further pp.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links