Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
spy

Default Columbia Ice Fields, Jasper National Park, Alberta

Very cold and windy, the Columbia Ice Fields are located about 2 hours south of Jasper, Alberta and attract many tourists to the area. Plenty of photo opp to take advantage of, I only had 1/2 an hour to snap off a couple shots. This place requires several hours to really appreciate its wonder but make sure you dress warm.

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The 2nd one really 'rocks' but love them both. You have some beautiful scenery for sure and you certainly do it justice with the photos.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
spy

Thanks Mark! You know, there is so much talk and awareness programs discussing 'Global Warming' that I couldn't help but notice how much this ice flow is melting. There are "date markers" that start all the way back to the tourist lodge/main highway, where the edge of the ice flow was dated to be mid 1800's.

The first photo posted above has a date marker of 1880 and there are date markers lining the path about every 150 feet or so marking every 30 years the edge of the ice has melted away. So if your not a wise thinker, most people will just be amazed at all the melting going on and the media messages of green house gasses/industry pollution quickly come to mind and all the environmental talk about the contributors of these gasses like the 'Alberta oil sands projects' and countries blaming other countries accusing them of their own dirty polluting industries causing the polar ices to melt ........and on and on the blaming goes and if the environmentalist got their way and every factory, car and airplane was to shut off......there would be an erie silence followed by the victory cheers of all the pushers of the green house gasses ideas and their voices would all proclaim that they saved the world from eminent over heating.

(I know that was a long sentence but you all know what I'm saying because we hear it everyday).....Now if you happen to be a wise thinker......you would start this Columbia Ice Field tour back at the tourist lodge and you'd find yourself looking at a sign that says "edge of ice" - 1800 (or so) then as you walk toward the actual edge, you'll pass by many other date markers all evenly spaced reading about 30 years apart. So my question is, if dirty industry and countries are being blamed for the green house gasses mess and causing the polar and glacier ice to melt away then tell me just how many factories, cars and other green house gas contributors were running back in the 1800's? How about going back even more when there was more ice around ........heck why not go back to the dinosaur days or rather when they all died and some of them were even found in ice.......how many dirty polluting industries and cars were functioning then?

So my two cents is there has been a gradual melting of the ice long before the wheel was invented and it's a process that will continue until the ice is all gone and it's a work in progress far greater than any environmental group or government can or could ever figure out.

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

These are great Kevin

I really love the rock detail and colors in #1 and the composition where the slight hills lead you into the scene. But #2 is just a very impressive testiment to mother nature.

I think you make a good point in your last sentence here. People tend to easily forget that the climate of this planet is cyclical. So it is easy to blame the other guy if something suits there own purposes. It really makes sense that after the last ice age we will be in a warming period, as that is how the cycle works. Not to discard the notion that we as humans have impacted our environment, but the scope we are talking about here is much larger.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:33 PM   #5

Leaving aside the why of glacier retreat, if I could I would be taking a lot of pictures. They are retreating and whether or not they return, it won't be soon.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote