Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:46 AM   #11

condorman, it sounds like you'll really like the place. Route 97 is so scenic that no less than BMW, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Saab, and Cadillac shoot their car commercials there. (source:wikipedia.org)

Further north (Route 97 is 70 miles long) are canoe, kayak, and tube rentals and other smalltown attractions that IMO are more for the photography buff. (Boy Scout hiking trails, a stone arch bridge, railroad museum, etc.)

And a few miles south where Route 97 actually starts is the city of Port Jervis -- voted #1 coolest small town in the U.S. by Budget Travel in 2008. Port Jervis was first settled in 1690 and became a city in 1856 when the D&H Canal -- a waterway used to ferry coal from the Pennsylvania mines to New York City -- brought development and people there. As I understand it, many towns in the region declined in growth (the city of Scranton being one) when coal was replaced by oil as the choice energy resource but not Port Jervis. It somehow even managed to thrive.

Across the river just past the town of Matamoras is Milford, PA, voted #2 coolest small town by Budget Travel in 2007. (They have a different top ten list each year so it doesn't mean a small town loses its rank the following year.)

Thanks for the compliment.

I thought I'd add some more pics.

#7) Port Jervis is not one of those rural cities that have just one "main" street lined with shops and that's it -- it has several. We actually got lost driving around finding our way to Route 97. This one is Pike Street.

#8) Civil War monument to commemorate the soldiers of the neighboring town of Deerpark at Orange Park in the City of Port Jervis.

#9) Fly fishing in the upper Delaware River.

#10) We're told by a friend who grew up in the area the island near top left is called "Cherry Island" because of its shape.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:32 PM   #12

Lovely shots! Love them.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:11 PM   #13

Thanks, Daniel.

I thought I'd add two more.

#11) For many years Erie Depot was the busiest passenger station in Port Jervis. (source:wikipedia.org) It has since been replaced by the Port Jervis Station nearby. It's the last stop on the Metro-North/NJ Transit Mainline that commuters in my region take to get to NYC. It doesn't reach NYC, however, you'd have to change trains in Secaucus, NJ.

#12) Rain clouds over Port Jervis.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:16 PM   #14

Hi Vv.
I've never been to route 97 but like all of your pics once I've seen them I feel immersed in the scene, it's like I've been there. I gota say a big thank you for that cos I feel like I,ve been on vacation after looking at your work.
Love all the last lot but 10 particularly strikes me, Cherry Island brilliant, I fall into the pic hear the river and Imagen how beautiful it would be to canoe along there. You post a lot of great pics and its great to see them.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15

Thanks, Mark.

#13) Hawk's Nest is popular among bikers be it Harley-Davidson or other.

#14) Rafters and canoers on the Delaware.

#15) This Harley biker was throwing rocks at the rafters below. When my wife approached them saying, "I haven't heard any 'ouch' yet," the guy in blue sleeveless shirt had a big laugh and said, "We're working on it."