Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Elks-Brox Memorial Park and Hawk's Nest

Elks-Brox Memorial Park in the city of Port Jervis, NY, offers a bird’s eye view of the city and the states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Port Jervis is situated at the edge of New York State that borders with the two states. If you stood at the small tri-state monument in Port Jervis you'd be standing on all three states at the same time. (We didn't go there, but next time we will.)

#1) Elks-Brox Memorial Park. It is so named because Elks was the charitable organization that turned it into a public park in 1911 and Brox was the brother-in-law of a philanthropist who made substantial contributions in 1934 to the park's improvement.

An obelisk in the horizon marks the highest point in New Jersey.

#2) Looking south towards New Jersey.

#3) Looking west towards Pennsylvania. The Delaware River separates the states of New York and New Jersey on one side and the state of Pennsylvania on the other side.

#4) Picnic tables with fixed barbecue occasionally dot the roadside on the way to Elk-Brox Memorial Park.

#5) A short drive up Route 97 outside Port Jervis is Hawk's Nest, a popular highway for sightseers. It features a highway hugging the side of a mountain and a 100 foot plunge into the Delaware River below were rafters, canoers, and kayakers can be seen.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:03 AM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Elks-Brox Memorial Park in the city of Port Jervis, NY, offers a bird’s eye view of the city and the states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Port Jervis is situated at the edge of New York State that borders with the two states. If you stood at the small tri-state monument in Port Jervis you'd be standing on all three states at the same time. (We didn't go there, but next time we will.)

#1) Elks-Brox Memorial Park. It is so named because Elks was the charitable organization that turned it into a public park in 1911 and Brox was the brother-in-law of a philanthropist who made substantial contributions in 1934 to the park's improvement.

An obelisk in the horizon marks the highest point in New Jersey.

#2) Looking south towards New Jersey.

#3) Looking west towards Pennsylvania. The Delaware River separates the states of New York and New Jersey on one side and the state of Pennsylvania on the other side.

#4) Picnic tables with fixed barbecue occasionally dot the roadside on the way to Elk-Brox Memorial Park.

#5) A short drive up Route 97 outside Port Jervis is Hawk's Nest, a popular highway for sightseers. It features a highway hugging the side of a mountain and a 100 foot plunge into the Delaware River below were rafters, canoers, and kayakers can be seen.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

vv,

All are great photos. You must have worked hard with this one, with an excellent result. Not easy with that sky light, very strong light albeit the clouds. Close to the gamut and the dynamic range of the eyes, trying to find details and colour in the darker areas.

Also a clever composition with two diagonals crossing each other ; forming an X-shape

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:05 AM   #3

I had to smile at your comment because I did -- it was very tedious to line up the clouds across 5 shots in DPHDR that I was wondering if I should have just worked with 1 RAW image for the sky. Thanks a lot, Torgny.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:14 AM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

I added a comment on the composition. Myself I try to achieve similar results without merging. It's hard.

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:17 AM   #5

All nice shots but they look a bit over-sharpened on my display. Especially #5.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:30 AM   #6
spy

1, 2 and 3 would do very well with a 3 stop hard graduating cokin filter to let the foreground expose better against the sky.
http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2...-filter-video/

Looks like fall is on its way in your area!

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:48 AM   #7

I didn't see the x-form before. Thanks, Torgny.

Thanks, Martin. I used a different Topaz Adjust preset on the picture below. Also, I didn't sharpen as much in PSE7. I'll continue to make tweaks to my sharpening as there are a number of possible combinations. After working with the sliders for too long, I sometimes have to step away (go to the bathroom or make coffee) and look again to see the difference.

Thanks for reminding me about the graduating filter. I didn't think of that, especially since during pp I was having real difficulty making the foreground clearer and brighter.

#6) A portion of County Route 97 at Hawk's Nest. The water was clear, the air fresh, and the weather fine. It was a good day to be out. Indeed, many were.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:42 PM   #8

On the first 3 I think you over-emphasized the sky/clouds at the expense of the land areas and structures. But, maybe that was your intent.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:04 PM   #9

I actually wanted the foreground to be brighter. I thought I did (they look great on my Blackberry's tiny screen, IMO) but looking at my office monitor they're still dark. When I was doing this, I remember when I brightened the sky and the foreground each to my liking, I noticed a thin, unnatural band where the sky met the horizon and was unable to get rid of it without making both sky and foreground darker than I wanted. Adjusting feathering didn't seem to help. I'll have to revisit my techniques.

Meanwhile, below is a simple brightness-slider adjustment with different brightness values for the sky and foreground.

#3 redux)
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:01 AM   #10

Shot 6 is the one for meeee, Love the windy road alongside the river taking me away into the hills on my vacation, I'm in a big Winnebago, its 36 degrees, the Eagles are playing on the radio, left my cel phone at home and theres a whole month to take in the scenes and smells, Oooo yeaaaaa, smoke me a Kipper. Brilliant,
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote