Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:13 AM   #1

Default Kaaterskill Falls

Kaaterskill Falls is in the eastern Catskill Mountains of the State of New York. It is about two and a half hours by car from New York City. Its name is likely a corruption of “Catskills” when the English-speaking colonists supplanted the Dutch in the early 18th Century. (source: wikipedia.org)

The half-mile hike to Kaaterskill Falls is not easy. It is uphill, uneven, muddy at times, and the big rocks we stepped on occasionally wiggled under our feet. We’d think twice before bringing friends there who aren’t physically fit.

Still, we saw older people on the trail, even obese ones, stopping always to let us through. It seemed obvious, however, that they were using it as an excuse to catch their breaths. (At least one elderly admitted to us.) Come to think of it, we, too, used our photographing the trail as an excuse to catch our breaths.

But the hike, as most websites will tell you, is worth it. The double-drop Kaaterskill Falls stands tall at 260 feet, almost one hundred feet taller than Niagara Falls at 173 feet. The several stones facing the falls serve as platforms on which one may stand, sit, or lie down to view the falls. (One woman did just that -- lied down near the base of my tripod and closed her eyes.)

There isn’t much to do once at the falls other than to look. But sometimes gathering one’s senses to feel the mist, smell the freshness, and hear the roar of the thundering waterfalls until you hear nothing else but Nature brings an inner calm that you might otherwise never have thought you had.

#1) Bastion Falls -- visible from the highway and acts as a sort of prelude to Kaaterskill Falls -- lies at the start of the trail.

#2) Kaaterskill Creek runs the length of the trail.

#3) Kaaterskill Falls. The falls is mentioned once in Washington Irving’s 1819 story, “Rip Van Winkle”. You can see two people standing on the middle level of the falls at left.

#4) A man looks down from the top of the falls.

#5) View opposite of the falls. Part of the trail -- if you can call it that -- is seen on the left. As you can see the terrain is very uneven.

#6) Route 23A -- where the trail head is located -- is a pleasurable drive in the scenic Catskills.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:47 AM   #2

I can start by saying superb but then I'll run out of superlatives!

11 out of 10

ckthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

these are some of your best work VV for sure. just an excellent series.

#1 and #5 were my favorites. you should have a big version of #1 on your wall.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4

I'd go with one and 5 myself but a great series and once again great commentary as well.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5

I love the series. Would not know how large until you pointed out those two itty bitty people. It would be a long hike for someone not fit...like myself. How long of a hike was it for you?
What camera, etc. were you using?

I love Waterfalls, water in general...
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Kaaterskill Falls is in the eastern Catskill Mountains of the State of New York. It is about two and a half hours by car from New York City. Its name is likely a corruption of “Catskills” when the English-speaking colonists supplanted the Dutch in the early 18th Century. (source: wikipedia.org)

The half-mile hike to Kaaterskill Falls is not easy. It is uphill, uneven, muddy at times, and the big rocks we stepped on occasionally wiggled under our feet. We’d think twice before bringing friends there who aren’t physically fit.

Still, we saw older people on the trail, even obese ones, stopping always to let us through. It seemed obvious, however, that they were using it as an excuse to catch their breaths. (At least one elderly admitted to us.) Come to think of it, we, too, used our photographing the trail as an excuse to catch our breaths.

But the hike, as most websites will tell you, is worth it. The double-drop Kaaterskill Falls stands tall at 260 feet, almost one hundred feet taller than Niagara Falls at 173 feet. The several stones facing the falls serve as platforms on which one may stand, sit, or lie down to view the falls. (One woman did just that -- lied down near the base of my tripod and closed her eyes.)

There isn’t much to do once at the falls other than to look. But sometimes gathering one’s senses to feel the mist, smell the freshness, and hear the roar of the thundering waterfalls until you hear nothing else but Nature brings an inner calm that you might otherwise never have thought you had.

#1) Bastion Falls -- visible from the highway and acts as a sort of prelude to Kaaterskill Falls -- lies at the start of the trail.

#2) Kaaterskill Creek runs the length of the trail.

#3) Kaaterskill Falls. The falls is mentioned once in Washington Irving’s 1819 story, “Rip Van Winkle”. You can see two people standing on the middle level of the falls at left.

#4) A man looks down from the top of the falls.

#5) View opposite of the falls. Part of the trail -- if you can call it that -- is seen on the left. As you can see the terrain is very uneven.

#6) Route 23A -- where the trail head is located -- is a pleasurable drive in the scenic Catskills.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

vv,

Impressive pictures. Photo quality. Favourites:

The first picture - the balance - perfect

The last picture - simple, clean, no distraction whatsoever

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:15 PM   #7

Super, Super pics Vv. 1,2,3 and 4 are my faves.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:59 PM   #8

Thank you, all. Your compliments and comments are very much appreciated.

During pp, I think one change I did made a noticeable improvement. The waterfalls and stone surfaces were actually bluish. By selectively reducing the color cyan’s saturation to zero, I think the stones and water looked more realistic.

I also learned that CS3 (I’ve had my copy for some time but stubbornly stayed with PSE7) has an excellent defringing tool. The feature is available in its Adobe Camera Raw program and as a control under “distort” filter. For my Tamron lens at its widest angle (18mm), fringing is effectively removed when I slide the “fix red/cyan fringe” control to -51. (For my wife’s Kodak Z980, fringing is removed at -23.) Defringing isn’t available in PSE7 and its accompanying version of Adobe Camera Raw.

Lisalonewolf, checking the exif data on the pics (between the first pic I took at the start of the trail and the first pic I took of Kaaterskill) it shows we took 40 minutes to hike the 0.4 mile. I thought it was faster. We did, however, make at least three stops to take pictures each stop probably lasting 5 minutes or more.

It’s a really nice hike -- tiring but we felt good afterwards. We hardly noticed the time or the hardship because of the scenery along the way, even on the way back. We had leg muscle pains the following day -- not too bad but they were there.

Below are some pics my wife took with her Kodak Z980. I took the photos above with my Sony A350. My photos (above) are multiple exposures for HDR processing (necessitating a tripod) while my wife’s photos (below) are all handheld, single-shot RAWs. Besides CS3, all pics were processed using Dynamic Photo HDR and Topaz Detail.

#7) Sign at start of trail.

#8) Stony trail.

#9) Bastion Falls. This shot was taken handheld on our way out when it was starting to get dark. My wife used the highway railing for support.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:08 PM   #9

Your wife and the 980 did a very creditable job as well.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:05 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nicely done VV...'nuff said!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote