Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:59 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Kevin,

Fantasmagorical* pictures. Radiant photographically inspired art, but way too manipulated; both in the moment of exposure and in post processing. We've come too far from reality

As Kierkegaard holds it; ethics is always more important than estethics. If you're twisted by religion you shouldn't pass ethics on the fravel from the estethical to the religious stage

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kierkegaard/

Torgny

1 a shifting series of phantasms, illusions, or deceptive appearances, as in a dream or as created by the imagination.

2 a changing scene made up of many elements.

3 an optical illusion produced by a magic lantern or the like in which figures increase or diminish in size, pass into each other, dissolve, etc.

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:57 PM   #12
spy

Thank you Torgny for commenting....as always I'm encourage by good, bad, indifferent or all of the above comments. Thanks as well for taking the time to find that informative article....interesting read.

Torgny, I have to ask what any of us photographers or 'deceptive manipulators' have to do to an image to earn your harsh critique or statements such as your "1, 2, and 3" examples above? What exactly in my photos draws you to believe I posted "illusions, deceptive appearances, changed the scene or created optical illusions"?

Once a photographer takes a long exposure, he or she has just created an image that doesn't exist with what was seen by the naked eye. Then add to that some contrast, sharpening, maybe some duo tones and a little vibrance and you come in with such damming remarks like you've been appointed to keep watch or something.

The comments above posted by Torngy are not just for me but everyone else on this forum or site that makes or has made a long exposure or uses some tools in pp to make their photos better.

Am I wrong or out of place for saying this?

Last edited by spy; Dec 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:23 AM   #13

All of them are beautiful but I will go for the last one.....
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:24 PM   #14

Hi Kevin,
Sensational!, I love them all but for me my order of Faves is 4,1,3,2 but it does change. I thought the first set of the Church is Amazing and it's great to see these.
For me these are my favorite type of pics where theres an amazing feeling or mood transfered from the image. A real fantasy feel and a break from reality. I love it, it adds a new dimension. It must feel great to create such dramatically fantastic images and have the vision.
I'm really inspired by your creations Kevin, as I,m sure most of us are.
I know we all have different opinions on the pp. I feel it's great, It allows you to go so much further, to create something better or different and to be really only limited by the imagination and pp skills. Fantastico! Inspirational!
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:10 PM   #15

Agree with all on no.3, what an outstanding photo!
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:02 PM   #16

You are a great shot! They look great !
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:26 PM   #17
spy

Thanks Hanalwala, Mark, Timinator and SharpShotGal for swinging by.

Mark, it feels good knowing that my photos inspire and as far as pp goes for me, I'm going to present what is pleasing to me. I would have gone stale and died a long time ago if I couldn't express my self with my "art" or photographic vision....if that causes some to react by calling me deceptive or a fraud because I changed the scene by long exposure or used duo tone, enhanced vibrance, or did some contrast adjustments then so be it.....at least I'm not satisfied with "plain".

Went down this afternoon to Vistek Camera and Photo Lab in Calgary to have the photo of the church with the light beams printed and as soon as the photo manager saw it on the large screen iMac, he came alive with such excitement jumping off his chair then pointed to a large print high on the wall that is front and centre in the store said it was coming down and a large plaque of the church will replace it....then pausing for a moment from his excitement, asked me if that would be ok?? OF COURSE! I said.

When it gets hung I will take a photograph of it and post it here.

Have a listen and watch this song that has an incredible message. It's about coming out of your shell, showing others who you are and being all you can be by expressing your talents or in this forum, through photography, is my hope for everyone. Challenge yourselves to be amazing...try the impossible,...beat the odds overcome your limitations and don't settle for PLAIN, what do you have to loose?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

Kevin

Last edited by spy; Dec 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:48 PM   #18

Look forward to seeing the pic of your creation on the wall of the store Kevin. That will be a great draw to his shop.
The song Firework is fantastic and so motivating, it's like drinking 10 espressos! But without consuming all the rubbish. Music is so great and can really be so motivating.
Thanks for the link to the song Kevin. I,m going to start my day with that tomorrow.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Am I wrong or out of place for saying this?
Kevin,

Frankly I am not really sure what Torgny was referriing to in his statement, as ethics and estethics, being man made concepts, are both flawed in their own ways, but at the risk of stepping in to this particular thread at the cost of debate, I must say that I feel that reality is what an individual makes it. Each of us have a different perspective of life even though the same atoms exist at the same time for us all, we seem to put them into patterns we feel most comfortable with. It is my belief that by the sheer will power of our individual efforts we percieve what we want, using these shared atoms in different ways than others to form our own reality. As far as ethics go, one is not ethically challenged because his mind percieves reality in one way, or another in his (or hers). So I don't quite get the ethics point. Every time we "look" at something, with our naked eye, we quantify it in our own mind and capture what we perceive at the time, thus, changing that point in our concept of reality forever. Only through the lens can we save the changes we have made and share them with others.....

I can see how someone could personally consider something overly manipulated but it does not, or should not, be construed as wrong or ethically prohibited as most every photograph taken is manipulated in some way, as you say. Do we wait until the geese fly before we take the shot, or wait till we have the right light? It is after all up to the artist themselves to give us the rendering they feel they want to share. Kind of like if you put cream and sugar into your coffee does it spoil it? I guess it would depend on the person drinking it. It is still coffee more or less, but one is not ethically bound to endure coffee in its simplest form or we all would be sucking on beans...

Aside from this, I would feel much better if Torgny would elaborate some about the meaning of his comment himself as it could be that in some way he was actually trying to complement this series through some method I am not familiar with... Hummm won't know till he does.

However twisted it seems, this is my humble opinion. No hard feelings toward anyone at all.....Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Dec 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM. Reason: It is impossible to spell..........
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote