Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:26 PM   #31

Try not to become a Censorious, Torgny. It's shamely demodée.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:53 PM   #32

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Try not to become a Censorious, Torgny. It's shamely demodée.

Thank you, Ordo,

for following this lengthy thread to it's end. It sure has outlived it's intensions and apparently also it's usefulnes. Want to show a last picture, made with the telephoto lens at it's long end

These houses far away were built in the 40ies or maybe 50ies. Functionalism. I prefer the older houses at the core of the city, from the 19th century, though. I hope to come back to them another time

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:09 AM   #33

The motivation of an artist and the personal interpretation of their view of art, is perplexing to me personally. It would seem that there are varied depths of convictions that stir the soul of each in turn. It would also seem, that without exploring every available option to an artist (no matter what the medium), one might find themselves lacking by omission. The pureist, who scoff at digital photography and modern technology using only film to portray their images, would be at one end of the spectrum, while those who use the latest devices (both hardware and software) to achieve exhibition of their visionary expression falling at the other. There are those who start at a middle ground, and migrate towards one or the other ends either by natural inclinations, successes, or conviction of sorts that can only be held by that particular artist, but in doing so does not, in my opinion, make them any less or more of a photographer. The varience of the individual artist is what makes this such an interesting field to those of us who are the recipiants and appreciators of the art. To have nothing but the same interprations of a singular medium, to me, would be boring and soon lose my intrest. The final impact of a photograph, what it says , how it makes me feel, what it tells me, is more important in my opinion than what means the artist used to get there......Frank
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:34 AM   #34

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Frank,

All opinions are valid, to me anyhow. Personally I find these rules by the National Geographic meaningful

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...lation-notice/

Torgny

Quote/unquote:

"2010 National Geographic Photography Contest

A message
about digital manipulation from the Director of Photography of National Geographic:

I strongly urge you to submit photographs that are un-manipulated and real. The world is already full of visual artifice, and we don’t want the National Geographic Photo Contest to add to it. We want to see the world through your eyes, not the tools of Photoshop.
Please do not digitally enhance or alter your photographs (beyond the basics needed to achieve realistic color balance and sharpness). If you have digitally added or removed anything, please don't submit the shot. We look at every photo to see if it's authentic, and if we find that yours is in any way deceptive, we'll disqualify it.

DODGING AND BURNING: Dodging (to brighten shadows) or burning (to darken highlights) is fine, but please don’t overdo it. Your goal in using digital darkroom techniques should be to adjust the dynamic tonal range of an image so that it more closely resembles what you saw.

COLOR SATURATION: Just as with dodging and burning, your goal should be to make it real. Please avoid significant over- or undersaturation.

SOLARIZATION, MEZZOTINT, DUOTONE, ETC.: Discouraged as being too gimmicky. There are a myriad of alteration "filters" available in digital photo software; try not to be swayed to use them. They may be cool and fun, but they won’t help you in this contest.

BLACK-AND-WHITE IMAGES: OK.

HAND-TINTED IMAGES: OK, but only if you're experienced in this art.

CROPPING: OK, if you feel it makes the photo better.

STITCHED PANORAMAS: OK, but only if the segments were all made within the same time frame. We don't want panoramas with sections made at significantly different times. Do not change focal length when you create a stitched image. Do not stretch the meaning of panorama to include elements that weren't in the scene as you saw it. If your entry is a stitched image, please indicate this in the caption. (A stitched panorama is created from multiple images, each taken at a different angle from the same position, then combined using digital techniques. It results in a wider view than can be achieved with most wide-angle lenses.)

FISH-EYE LENSES: OK, but enter at your own risk—editors tend to dislike such optical gimmicks.

HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR) IMAGES: OK, but like panoramas, only if the combined parts are made at about the same time. We don't want final images where the foreground was shot at noon and the sky at sunset. If your entry is an HDR image, please indicate this in the caption. (An HDR image is created from multiple images of exactly the same scene, made rapidly but at different exposures, then combined using digital darkroom techniques. The final image, when done successfully, allows one exposure for shadows to be combined with another for highlights to produce a final image that has a greater dynamic range than is possible with a single exposure)"
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:59 PM   #35

OK Torgny, now I see where you are comming from. Point well taken. I am sure that this application is focused on the contest as such, although they do make some good points overall. Even then, they still condone some use of PP (just keeping it to a minimalistic usage). However, I am suprised that you would constrain your overall artistic talents to these specific rules. I would liken that logic to listening to a TV commercial that is telling me I have to take a certain pill to overcome a cold, or I will not get relief from it,when there may be different ways to acheive a cure..

Thanks for the link and the information you shared as it explains much about how you view your art as well ...Cheers! Frank

Nice set of photographs by the way!

Last edited by hkmp50; Jan 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote