Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:58 PM   #1

Default Giew Tin Mine, Cripplease at Night.

Hi Chums,
i had my first go at night time long exposures yesterday. it was a real eye opener as to some of the differences to daylight photography.
1st thing I noticed is when its dark you just cant see much at all through the viewfinder, composition was a guess. Next time ill have 2 torches and a wind up torch for walking. Some warm clothes as it gets real cold just stood round.
I found my 3 e bay remote really great.
Let me know what you think of the pics and whats wrong or what you like if you can please as I really enjoyed doing this and will be trying again.
Thanks Everyone.
Mark

Giew Tin Mine, Cripplease by Marky Milarky, on Flickr

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:52 PM   #2
spy

Killer, Killer, Killer super incredible images Mark!!! I am xtatic (with a capital X) that you actually set your mind to doing this and pulled off a series of KILLER images!!!! Next time you go there, do much of the same light painting then go inside and light it up. The windows will glow to. Once the lighting is done just leave your remote cable locked on burst mode and fill up the card then "stack" the images later in pp to create the star trails.

Bang up job Mark! Whooooooooot
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:38 PM   #3

That first shot in particular is just GORGEOUS ! Hey but wait a minute .... *in a stern voice* "did you have a torch on to light up the rock in the foreground" ?

How long was the exposure Mark ? Camera / Lense / Details ? Oops just seen you have a D5000 and I'm guessing those were with the Tamron 10-24 ?

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:33 AM   #4

Well done. A promissing first try.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:13 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Fantastic work, really nicely done, you should be very proud..... I hope you are getting the first one printed out and hung!

What makes the difference is that you planned the shot, you knew what you were going to do, a lot of people just shoot because there is something they spot when out and about and then fail as it wasn't planned.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:18 AM   #6

WOW!!

This is really great and exciting, Mark! What an impact this # 1 has on me - and all others so far. You are to become a super night-photographer with this shot.

Congratulations - and now: More of the same kind, please! And som Exif-data as to how long exposures, settings and so on.

Best regards,
Walter
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:57 AM   #7

Wow these are awesome. Yes, definitely keep doing it. I don't know much about competitions but I'd say these could win top prize.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Super Moderator

excellent! happy to see you get out and give this a try and you came back with some really nice images. keep it up, i look forward to seeing more, and you have some superb locations to shoot with hte abandoned keeps/castles, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:48 AM   #9

Wow, Crikey, Thank you so much Everyone for the really super feedback. I,m knocked out by it.

Kevin, Thank you so much for your kind words, Inspiration and support Mateeey. I shall have a go at the burst mode that sounds incredible.

Kevin Frogfish, Thank you very much. pic details are.
pic 1. f5.6 exp 193 seconds iso 2000! focal length 10mm Tamron. It was pitch dark with only the stars. Used a small torch and went over the building several times in a patchy fashion to try and build some interesting light. Just touched on the foreground with the torch to light the rock.

Pic 2 F8 68 seconds iso 2000! Focal length 10mm Torch light only.
I really liked the way the clouds moving across the sky looked and it made me think of an Aurora.

Pic 3 f 5.6 42 seconds, iso 200 Focal length 12mm torch light.

Next time. I would have more warm clothing, 1 very powerfull torch for composing the picture in the dark wich was really difficult with the torch i had. I would take a pic and look at it on screen then adjust the tripod a bit and hope for the best.,and 1 wind up torch for walking to and from and if the others are flat it'll always work. and one with a long battery life for painting.
Next time Ill try longer exposures using lower iso, and other variants. it's so great to be able to see the image data after and compare the results.

Thank you Ordo.

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10

Thank you Mark,
I think I will get one printed. Thanks very much for great comments. I,ll be contacting you soon about the camera club. I,m going to go along.

Thank you very much Walter, very kind words from you. I have put all the exif data just up a bit on the reply to Frogfish Kevin.

Hi Billy, Thank you very much, I,m sounding like a broken record here but really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Thank you Dustin, There is just an unending list of really amazing buildings and places here, I feel very lucky.

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000