Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Default Central Park After the Fourth Winterstorm

I took these pictures in Central Park last week. They were taken at noon the same day I took pictures of Bryant Park in the "Fourth Snowstorm This Season" thread.

Central Park is big. It is 51 city-blocks long and 3 blocks wide. The area I took these from is merely 3 blocks by half-a-block on the southeast corner, or about 1/100th of the park. Because a pond sits there -- and I suspect a lack of poetic imagination on the landscapers' part -- that corner of Central Park is simply dubbed, "The Pond".

The south end of Central Park is at the heart of NYC’s finer tourist districts. It is where The Plaza Hotel -- a 20-story French renaissance luxury chateau built in 1907 -- and Apple’s flagship store with the glass cube storefront are located. Not far in the direction of uptown are the Met, the Natural History Museum, and “The Mall” where famous movie Central Park scenes were shot.

The north end of Central Park, however, had for years been no-man’s land because of nearby neighborhoods that, rightfully or wrongfully, have earned notoriety in the New Yorker’s mind. (source: yahoo answers)

But that’s no longer true if my googling is right. I have not been there but apparently neighborhoods north of Central Park have been greatly “gentrified” in recent years. Families started moving there. Clinton holds his office there. What’s more, Central Park North is home to Dana Discovery Center and the Conservatory Garden, the park’s “only formal garden”. (source:wikipedia.org)

Still, if you’re just visiting and can only spend a few minutes at each of NYC’s famous landmarks, Central Park South may be all that you need. Its distinctively New York skyline will more than serve you well in laying claim to the famous adage sought by every traveler -- that of having “been there, done that”.

#1)

#2)

#3)

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:04 PM   #2

#1 is especially nice.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:21 PM   #3

Thank you, Walter.

I added one more.

#4) I had the bridge all to myself the whole time I shot my bracket. For a place as busy as NYC, I can't help but think "destined"...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:33 PM   #4

Glad you had a chance to add the 4th image. It is definitely my favorite.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:24 PM   #5

Yes, that's my favorite, too. Almost like a Tolkien scene; Aragorn and Arwen would not be out of place on that bridge.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:37 AM   #6

Thanks, Zig, Barbarian. I enjoyed "The Lord of the Rings" movies.

#5) This is East Drive where horse-drawn carriages take tourists into the park.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:52 AM   #7

great pictures, I like them all.
is central park as bad as some of the stories that go around ?
Bob
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:55 PM   #8

Thanks, Bob.

Central Park is safe. It's packed with kids, tourists, and baby strollers during the day until dusk. I'd say it's like any other tourist-friendly park anywhere in the world.

At night we've only been there as late as a few minutes past 8 in the month of November so it is already dark. Even then there are joggers, bikers, and old couples taking a stroll.

There is the occasional homeless (mostly at night because I never saw any during the day) but they generally distance themselves in a corner or are busy sifting through trash. They don’t generally come near people.

On the streets I’ve been asked for money. Generally I keep my relaxed gaze and continue walking as if I heard nothing. If I stop to give a dollar, more often than not I’m asked for more. I think they're already happy that I stopped but trying to see if they can max me out. In such a case I say I need a dollar, too. That always works because they know it’s not a lie. "I hear ya" or something of the sort is the usual response. So I think ignoring them in the first place (earphones help) would be the most trouble-free approach. They'll just wait for the next passerby.

In the 70s I read that NYC was on the decline and it was bad everywhere not just Central Park. But a lot has changed. I’d say it’s a very different NYC now. You still have to keep your guard up but you would anyway when in any other major city.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM.