Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:39 AM   #1

Default Madison Square Park, NYC

Madison Square Park occupies three city blocks from 23rd to 26th Streets between 5th and Madison Avenues. Originally a “swampy” area, it was first used as a “Potter’s Field” in the 1700s. (A “Potter’s Field” is “a place for the burial of unknown or indigent people”.) The park was opened in 1847 and soon residential development which was mostly occurring in the southern tip of Manhattan reached the park.

#1) Reflecting Pool at Madison Square Park.

#2) Southern Fountain.

#3) Situated between
midtown and downtown (Empire State Building, Times Square, and Rockefeller Center midtown and Chinatown, Wall Street, and the Statue of Liberty downtown), Madison Square Park is not tourist-heavy. At lunchtime, whenever the weather is good, the park is packed -- not as sardine-packed as the NYC subway but close -- with office workers enjoying the sun.

#4) The Metropolitan Life Tower (the one with the clock) was completed in 1909. It was at the time the tallest building in the world. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company started out by insuring Civil War soldiers in 1863. After the war, the company focused on life insurance. In 1879, insurance agents imported from Britain helped the company boom -- by the following year, it was issuing 700 new policies a day. Today, MetLife is the largest life insurer in the United States. It also made the “largest single building purchase in history” -- that of the Pan Am building on Park Avenue.

#5) The Flatiron Building was completed in 1902. It was originally called Fuller Building, named after the founder of the Fuller Company that built it. But since residents in the area always referred to it as the Flatiron Building because of its flatiron shape, the name was soon made official. Shaped like an arrowhead, its prow points to the direction of progress at the time -- uptown.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome. (source: wikipedia.org)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:33 PM   #2

Hi vvcarpio!

Love you # 5 pic - The Flatiron. It's great. The way you hid the sun behind that narrow building and it lights up th eclouds (and SOME clouds you have there...!), is amazing, it gives the pic an almost sacral feel to it.

What's the red light in the lamp on the lamp-post? I'd do away with it, if I were you.

Best regards,
Walter
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:22 PM   #3

Thank you, Walter. Yes, the clouds were changing constantly that day. I just had to keep shooting, it wasn't hard to get a good cluster of clouds.

The red light is indeed reddish when I looked at one of the RAW files. I removed it in #6 below. You're right, it was actually drawing (unnecessarily) my eye to it while post-processing it just didn't occur to me to desaturate it.

#6)

#7) Landscape mode.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote