Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Tudor City Park

I took these pictures of two parks -- one on either side of 42nd Street -- in Tudor City, NY. "Tudor City" isn't really a city but a neighborhood. Manhattan is subdivided into several neighborhoods (Harlem, Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill, Turtle Bay, Chinatown, Chelsea, SoHo, etc.) and Tudor City is just one on the east end of 42nd Street, where the UN Building is.

I've been revisiting places I couldn't take pictures of before because there are no mailboxes or tabletops on which to prop my old gorillapod. My new Giottos 8 section tripod on the other hand feels liberating as I can set it up anywhere with the extra height -- above waist height as opposed to "cat's view" on the ground -- to compose my shots.

I use a small and not a real tripod because I take pictures mostly at lunch break. A real tripod is too big to carry everyday to work. My camera and Giottos fit into my everyday messenger bag.

#1)

#2)

#3)

I used Topaz Adjust's "detail" slider (as opposed to Topaz Detail's which I have used before) on all the above. I notice that setting the "detail" slider to the max 400 on my 4056x3092 OOC image acts as a better sharpening tool than Photoshop's "unsharp" slider. I also used Topaz Adjust's "psychedelic" preset and throttled down a bit some of its stronger effects. But you be the judge. Please feel free to critique. Thank you for looking.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:59 PM   #2

I like your use of wide angle on these and also really like your post processing too,, thanks for the tip on the Topaz,, one of my favs as well

Jimmy Buffett
jaharris1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:16 AM   #3

As usual, you've proved a great series through the eyes of an insider, Billy. While I may not always comment, I thoroughly enjoy your mini-travelogues.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:26 AM   #4

Thank you, jaharris1001, gtoth.

The Topaz Suite has so many sliders I'm sure no one can master them. Sometimes I might come up with a picture and can visualize in my head what a particular preset will do to it. But I'm sure I won't be able to remember what each of the sliders will do. I'll just have to try all of them.

#4) This must be a fountain as there seem to be faucets in the lions' mouths.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:02 PM   #5

Beautiful pics as always. I love how you use Topaz.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:36 AM   #6

Geezs I must say they are nice although I am drawn to n 2

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7

Thank you, Daniel, flasha. I love playing with Topaz presets and sliders.

#5) There are two children's playgrounds on both sides of 42nd Street, too. This one is on the south side.

#6) I guess what makes a playground distinctly New York are the tall brick buildings around it and the even taller skyscrapers of glass and steel looming in the distance. (The U.N. building is behind and to the right of the brick building with the "Tudor City" sign on the roof. The mid-floors are under construction.)

#7) This is the way up to the park and playground on the south side. Opposite on the north side is a similar flight of stone stairs.

#8) The bridge partly seen to the left above joins the two parks on the south and north sides of 42nd Street. The bridge is on the street called Tudor City Place and below is the view facing west.