Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 1, 2011, 7:16 PM   #1
spy

Default Won 1st place!

I entered my burmis tree photo in a contest on dpreview.com a couple weeks ago and after 200 submissions and 5020 votes, my photo came in first place!

You can check it out here:
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/E...Results&Rows=4

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 7:42 PM   #2

Kevin, congratulations for bringing home the bacon. You deserve it, man. That burmis tree photo has a surreal feel in it, and the B&W effect suited it perfectly. Also, the story of that tree is very interesting. 350 years is a very, very long time. Thanks for sharing this and again congratulations to you.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:27 PM   #3

Well deserved. It is great image. I agree about the surreal feeling.
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Super shot, Kevin. Congratulations. I know how hard it is to win one of those challenges on dpreview, especially since a lot of the voters don't seem to consider the rules and guidelines for the challenge as they are rating submissions. At least that's been my observation. Again, congrat's
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 8:24 AM   #5

Congratulations, well done.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 9:08 AM   #6
spy

Thanks guys, I remember the shot well. I went out there with my wife to take some night shots of it for a customer who grew up in the area. The ideal shot in mind was a clear milky way sky, light paint the tree and have Turtle Mountain in the background highlighted somehow by the surrounding town. I had pre-booked rental ($175 for the day) for the 5dmii and 15mm 2.8 fisheye (before I bought my own) and had no choice but to go out on that day. Do or die, I was going out with my wish list for the shot and was hoping for the best.

Left Calgary around 6pm for the 2.5 hour drive to the Burmis Tree and the sky was thick overcast clouds all the way there. I think I'd already given up on the shot I wanted when we got to the tree as non of the conditions were right. I took some shots of the tree (one of which won the contest) and headed into town for dinner then to be back at the tree for around 9:30 or 10pm.

Leaving the restaurant, it was still very cloudy except for one lone star that was able to show through. I was so bummed out....my wife said, 'it's ok, we can always come back'.

It was a quiet drive back to the tree but when I stepped out of the car, the clouds had all pushed west over Turtle Mountain and the sky was beautiful with the Milky Way's majestic arch in full view! With the extremely cold wind howling, I was able to snap off a few shots till 11pm then drove back home.

Just to give you all a feel of what it was like to take these shots, ...this whole region is known as "the wind capital of Canada". Wind can reach speeds of 60 - 100+ kms/hour on most days. This night was very cold without the windchill and for each shot I took, I had to set up the tripod, get a focus lock, take the 17 - 30+ second shot then try very hard with frozen fingers to grab the gear and run back to the car to warm up. The wind was so strong, if I let go of the tripod, the wind was strong enough to blow it over.

Here are the other favourites from that night. I posted these a while back so some of you may remember.

5dmii, 15mm 2.8, ISO 2000, f2.8
Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 9:34 AM   #7

awesome series, i really like #5.
Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8

Congrats.......I remember seeing that entry on the site. Well done.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 1:41 PM   #9

With those conditions it is amazing that tree survived THAT long!
Those are great photos, can see why shooting there would be a challenge.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 3:04 PM   #10

congrats, Kevin! a very dramatic photo, deserving of recognition! i like the rest of the series as well...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote