Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:26 AM   #1

Default Rocky Mountain National Park

I wish I could say that I'm such an avid landscape photographer that I would seek out and chase the world's greatest sceneries no holds barred.

But in truth I was merely seeking the cheapest place to visit this summer that the family hasn't been to and was surprised that it was actually cheaper to fly to Denver from New York than it was to some parts of the east coast.

I also didn't know if Rocky Mountain retained its alps during the summer so I was surprised when a fellow passenger pointed out the snow-capped mountains in the distance when our plane was about to land in Denver.

At the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, I thought we would only reach a spot on the ground where all the tourists go and take the same pictures and that would be that. To my surprise, we were allowed to drive all the way up to the top -- all 12,000 feet of it -- and frolic in the snow just when New York City was experiencing its second hottest day on record.

And driving up the mountains -- no hiking involved -- involved curves that offered new vistas at every turn and landscapes that perhaps no other photographer yet has captured. The photographic opportunities were limitless!

So Denver was surprise after surprise. There was a surprise at every turn both literally and figuratively.

I guess the only downside after seeing Rocky Mountain National Park is that most other sceneries in life become somewhat pale by comparison. So I’m guessing this is how serious landscape photographers get their start. After seeing something like Rocky Mountain National Park with a camera in hand -- easily one of the most beautiful places on earth -- like a shot of adrenaline any lowly photographer would be so inclined as to dream of pooling all of life’s earnings to concentrate on one thing only: to seek out and chase the world's greatest sceneries -- no holds barred.

#1) Somewhere on the ground.

#2) Somewhere on the top.

#3) And somewhere in between on the drive up.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Aug 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:00 PM   #2

Beautiful shots and commentary. Like Yosemite, you can't capture all its beauty with just the camera as part of its spectacle is the panorama. Well done vv, I can here the Rockies calling to me....
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:41 PM   #3

Beautiful!!!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:07 AM   #4

Thank you, banksy, JeannieBug.

#4) I remember reading the phrase "above the tree line" on various signs at Rocky Mountain National Park. The first few times it didn't make an impression. But after seeing it mentioned incessantly almost as if hammering the phrase into the visitor's head, I paid attention. I then understood it to mean a certain elevation -- about 11,000 feet on Rocky Mountain (it varies in different earth regions) -- where the climate becomes too harsh for trees to grow. The highest elevation that sustains trees is called the "alpine" and the terrain is called the "alpine tundra". (source: wikipedia.org). The line where trees stop growing -- and where the alpine tundra starts -- can be seen here taken from over 11,000 feet.

#5) Inside the alpine woods.

#6) The alpine tundra.

#7) Some drives were actually pretty scary if you're not used to looking down a steep ravine to one side of the road while driving at 50 mph with no barriers to prevent you from falling. While driving I kept thinking thoughts like what if an oncoming vehicle had its driver taking in the scene and I had to swerve to avoid him...

#8) Parking lot literally on top of the world.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:18 AM   #5

Beautiful series of shots.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:26 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful mountain-scapes! Reminds me of my visit there last year. Did you hike any of the trails to the alpine lakes? I visited Dream Lake, Nymph Lake and Emerald Lake on the one trail. Travelled Trail Ridge Road but only upto Raibow Curve since it was closed due to snow/ice beyond that. I'd like to see more of you images from there!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:31 PM   #7

Thanks, jj, Jehan.

Jehan, we didn't get to Emerald Lake. I read about it but when I asked for lakes at the tourist information center before going to Rocky Mountain I was pointed to Estes Lake in the opposite direction. I think Estes Lake is more of a tourist place with maybe rides and amusement as opposed to the peaceful Emerald Lake. After driving up to the alps, however, I forgot all about the lakes.

Three few more...

#9)

#10)

#11)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:18 PM   #8

Stunning, thanks for sharing with us.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Lots of nice shots, looks like a good trip for you.

flickr
kev83202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:54 AM   #10

Great captures vv. I will add this to my list of places for future trips.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote