Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Brooklyn Bridge From the Brooklyn Side of East River

I dropped off my wife at LaGuardia for a red-eye flight. So I drove the extra 15 minutes to take these pictures of Brooklyn Bridge very early at dusk.

#1) Brooklyn Bridge before sunrise. New York City is billed as "the city that never sleeps". I found this true because a gay couple was already there sitting by the banks before the sun rose. A cop car stopped by, radioed something into the mouthpiece, then moved on. He must have been making a headcount of who's out there.

#2) I took a nap inside my car. When I awoke, the sun was already up.

#3) Brooklyn Bridge Park.

#4) Besides the historic-looking brick building, what's nice about this corner is you can see both Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges on the left and right, respectively.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:25 PM   #2

The first shot is a stunner, absolutely gorgeous! Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of HDR post-processing but I have to say you do a better job than most. Well done!
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:30 AM   #3

That first shot was worth getting up for - stunning. Another well cool series from you.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:53 PM   #4

#1 is stunning. Worth the drive vv.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Thank you, toshi43, DyaneG, banksy.

#1, BTW, isn't HDR. The rest are.

Apart from the view of the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan, that part of Brooklyn is very nice. Old and historic buildings along the East River that were former warehouses were turned into loft apartment studios where artists and "young homesteaders" moved into back in the seventies. (source:wikipedia.org) The area called, "Dumbo", which is short for "Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass", would make for a nice photo-walk. Unfortunately, I was getting hungry and not knowing which direction to walk to for breakfast, I eventually drove to Manhattan where I'm more familiar with.

In the upper eastside at a corner deli I ordered pancakes. While eating by the restaurant window an African American homeless woman who was missing a lot of teeth approached and asked me kind of obliquely if I had "enough to eat". I gladly shared with her one of my pancakes, putting it on the plastic cover of my aluminum takeout tray complete with syrup and butter. I then heard her walk to the counter and asked for a plastic fork, and as she walked back out to the street pancake in hand she looked at me through the glass window and gave me a nice big smooch gesture missing teeth and all. I thought she was nice in that she never asked for money, just food to eat, and didn't forget to appreciate at that.

Later I thought maybe I could have done more. But I suppose thoughts like that are dwelt upon often enough in hindsight.

#5) Manhattan Bridge which is right beside Brooklyn Bridge.

#6) A street in "Dumbo".
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:58 PM   #6

Gee Billy, since you and your family were with me in Oshawa, you've been around and taking some spectacular shots. Ive got to get myself more mobile. Im hoping for a trip to Utah.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7

Hi, Paul. It's good you mention being mobile. I was actually beginning to get concerned that photography might be bad for my health. It may be turning me into a couch potato sitting down and processing pictures for hours. Your comment made me realize, hey, photography also makes me get up (early sometimes), drive around, and go hiking for hours that I didn't do before.

Vi actually flew to Oshawa, the same relative's place we went to when we saw you last year. I told her, hey, you can go see Bynx. She was open to the idea (she likes you a lot) but being that her stay there was short (she's back home now) and she was with 3 other women, I thought the trip was more of an all-girls' outing.

#7) Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges side-by-side. The carousel inside the brightly-lit glass structure at left is in a fenced area. That part of the park is still under renovation.

#8) Cobblestones and abandoned rail tracks at Dumbo.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:51 PM   #8

Wow, the bridges side by side would make a nice big pano poster.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:58 PM   #9

The bridges particularly at night ( and I think #7's composition) are absolutely stunningly beautiful! Excellent Job! I could absolutely picture those shots hanging in a gallery. They are perfection! Thank you so much again for sharing.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:06 AM   #10

Thank you, Paul. It didn't occur to me to stitch together a panorama -- the bridges would have been whole. Next time...

Thanks a lot, Shutterbug74. I haven't been there at night but I think early morning before sunrise without any crowd makes for a more peaceful capture.

#9) Manhattan Bridge before dawn.