Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:38 AM   #1

Default sunset on the beach

hi folks, I just discover for me this section of the site and thought that it was great idea to create such section to get feedback and advices about photos, so I decide to submit one of mines to get some suggestions possibly and learn what I'm doing wrong.
So here it goes, this photo was done this summer vacation while we was camping on Generals' Beaches.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:14 AM   #2

A very nice picture Denis, very tranquil, thanks for sharing

David.
wedpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:17 PM   #3

Denis,

In general a well done photo, the reflection of the light in the water is a nice touch with only a few things I would try to improve on.
1) The sun's brightness has burnt out some of it's color detail. Maybe taking the picture when the sun is partially hidden by the cliff will not only help solve some of that but also add a bit more pizzaz.
2) One other trick might be to change your EV setting to reduce the brightness of the sun.

The following shot waits until the sun is partially hidden by the mountain and you'll note it gives a bit more warmth to the scene.

Remember these are free advice which are worth what they cost you.
Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:26 AM   #4

thanks wedpics and selvin!
selvin I wouldn't manage to beat your picture, it's look just perfect!
and you right sun burnt out some colors that's why I've wait and taken another photo which I dont' like so much since there are no sunway on the seasurface... check yourself do you think it's better than first one?

as for EV settings I wasn't aware of it's function when take this photo with my Mustek(my second camera, those times I wasn't obsessed with photography at all) a year ago, I thought it's just some brighness settings, and since I alawys can add it in PS I never used it(because it always add too much noise to the image), I wasn't aware what it could influence exposure and other things, and only when I got Minolta finally I find out what it was :P
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:59 PM   #5

You are correct. The first picture does end up being the better one.
If your Minolta has manual control the other possibility is to try various settings of exposure and shutter speed to see which combination give the best results. Yes, I've taken many 'bad' sunsets before getting some good ones.
Aloha and keep clicking away.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote