Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,699
Default Tipsoo Blue

Mt Rainier from Upper Tipsoo Lake during the 'blue hour'... 5D, 24-135 @24mm, 3 sec @ f10

__________________
Rocky

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mike_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 448
Default

Wow, this is beautiful!

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hawgwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 3,525
Default

Absolutely gorgeous!
__________________
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr
-Robert-


Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
kev83202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 161
Default

Really nice, thanks for sharing!
__________________
Canon 60D, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS,Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20 4.0.

flickr
kev83202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
schmintan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 424
Default

Awesome image, very peaceful, great light. There is a lot of noise in this image though. Id try this exact image again, but lower the ISO, use a tripod and a longer exposure to get the same effect, but with much less noise.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Walter C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA USA
Posts: 7,753
Default

Lovely!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jeephotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 1,455
Default

Nice!
__________________
jeephotog
http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Awesome image, very peaceful, great light. There is a lot of noise in this image though. Id try this exact image again, but lower the ISO, use a tripod and a longer exposure to get the same effect, but with much less noise.

this was shot at ISO 100 from a tripod - you didn't think i hand-held a 3-second exposure, did you?
__________________
Rocky

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
schmintan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
this was shot at ISO 100 from a tripod - you didn't think i hand-held a 3-second exposure, did you?
Never considered how it was taken. I can just see that it is very noisy, and high ISO causes this in my images. Besides, you can still shoot of a tripod using high ISO so regardless of how it was taken i think my assumtption of high ISO was valid given the evidence ;-)

If its not high ISO then im very curious as to what has caused so much noise. I know in some older camerass a long exposure also causes noise however i have not seen significant noise in any long exposures on a camera in the past 5 years, and even then, we are talking 15+ second exposures.

Its still a great composition, but if you wanted to print it it would suffer, which is why i made my suggestion. no offence intended.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Never considered how it was taken. I can just see that it is very noisy, and high ISO causes this in my images. Besides, you can still shoot of a tripod using high ISO so regardless of how it was taken i think my assumtption of high ISO was valid given the evidence ;-)

If its not high ISO then im very curious as to what has caused so much noise. I know in some older camerass a long exposure also causes noise however i have not seen significant noise in any long exposures on a camera in the past 5 years, and even then, we are talking 15+ second exposures.

Its still a great composition, but if you wanted to print it it would suffer, which is why i made my suggestion. no offence intended.

none taken. this was shot with a Canon 5D, and i have experienced noise problems with it when shooting very long exposures (15-20 sec or more), but in this case, i don't think any noise is the result of the camera. it's probably the result of some of the processing that was used... i pushed it a bit in ReDynaMix to bring out a bit of shadow detail, and that program sometimes makes noise more noticeable. i also bumped the saturation some, and that may have created some color noise. oddly enough, my full-size copy doesn't seem to have noticeable noise unless i view it at 200%, so i'm not certain some of what you're seeing isn't the result of compression from resizing the photo for web posting. just to be safe, though, i pulled the final version back up and ran it through some noise-removal software. it didn't look much different afterward, though the sky and water did seem a bit smoother - certainly more than clean enough to make good prints...
__________________
Rocky

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Oct 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:05 PM.