Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:37 PM   #1

Default Tipsoo Blue

Mt Rainier from Upper Tipsoo Lake during the 'blue hour'... 5D, 24-135 @24mm, 3 sec @ f10

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:42 PM   #2

Wow, this is beautiful!

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:45 PM   #3

Absolutely gorgeous!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4

Really nice, thanks for sharing!

flickr
kev83202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:05 PM   #5

Awesome image, very peaceful, great light. There is a lot of noise in this image though. Id try this exact image again, but lower the ISO, use a tripod and a longer exposure to get the same effect, but with much less noise.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:18 PM   #6

Lovely!
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:26 PM   #7

Nice!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Awesome image, very peaceful, great light. There is a lot of noise in this image though. Id try this exact image again, but lower the ISO, use a tripod and a longer exposure to get the same effect, but with much less noise.

this was shot at ISO 100 from a tripod - you didn't think i hand-held a 3-second exposure, did you?

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
this was shot at ISO 100 from a tripod - you didn't think i hand-held a 3-second exposure, did you?
Never considered how it was taken. I can just see that it is very noisy, and high ISO causes this in my images. Besides, you can still shoot of a tripod using high ISO so regardless of how it was taken i think my assumtption of high ISO was valid given the evidence ;-)

If its not high ISO then im very curious as to what has caused so much noise. I know in some older camerass a long exposure also causes noise however i have not seen significant noise in any long exposures on a camera in the past 5 years, and even then, we are talking 15+ second exposures.

Its still a great composition, but if you wanted to print it it would suffer, which is why i made my suggestion. no offence intended.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Never considered how it was taken. I can just see that it is very noisy, and high ISO causes this in my images. Besides, you can still shoot of a tripod using high ISO so regardless of how it was taken i think my assumtption of high ISO was valid given the evidence ;-)

If its not high ISO then im very curious as to what has caused so much noise. I know in some older camerass a long exposure also causes noise however i have not seen significant noise in any long exposures on a camera in the past 5 years, and even then, we are talking 15+ second exposures.

Its still a great composition, but if you wanted to print it it would suffer, which is why i made my suggestion. no offence intended.

none taken. this was shot with a Canon 5D, and i have experienced noise problems with it when shooting very long exposures (15-20 sec or more), but in this case, i don't think any noise is the result of the camera. it's probably the result of some of the processing that was used... i pushed it a bit in ReDynaMix to bring out a bit of shadow detail, and that program sometimes makes noise more noticeable. i also bumped the saturation some, and that may have created some color noise. oddly enough, my full-size copy doesn't seem to have noticeable noise unless i view it at 200%, so i'm not certain some of what you're seeing isn't the result of compression from resizing the photo for web posting. just to be safe, though, i pulled the final version back up and ran it through some noise-removal software. it didn't look much different afterward, though the sky and water did seem a bit smoother - certainly more than clean enough to make good prints...

~ Three Dog Night

Last edited by squirl033; Oct 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM.