Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:41 PM   #11

As already said, long way from NY!
Love #1 especially - did you use a wide angle lens for this?
What a strange little monkey - looks like a gremlin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banksyinoz/
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:51 AM   #12

Thank you, Walter, banksy.

banksy, yes, I used an ultra-wide angle for #1 -- the Tamron 10-24mm.

Tarsiers actually look cute. They can fit in the palm of your hand. Their eyes move in slow motion, too, not threatening at all, exactly like the Gremlins in the movie did. All the other Tarsiers we saw were either half-asleep or facing away from the path we were walking on. This one was inching its way up the pole.

#12) A baby Asian leopard. Its face has the stripes of a tiger and its body the polka dots of a leopard.

#13) Baclayon Church is the second oldest church in the Philippines. Magellan "discovered" the Philippines in the region and so the Spanish settled there first before Manila. Still, I was surprised at the number of really old churches I saw on the island. I couldn't imagine a small island to have a population large enough to warrant so many churches in the 1500s. Either someone had a vision too grand or the person doing the headcount was counting in a circle.

#14) Confessional at Baclayon Church.

#15) Loboc River.

#16) One of the side attractions on the Loboc River Cruise is a full orchestra and dance theater. After their immersive song and dance numbers, my father-in-law put P20 (less than 50 cents) in the donation box. Another tourist did the same. So you can see, especially coming out in great numbers as they do, they're not exactly making a killing doing what they love doing.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:02 PM   #13

Really like them all......neat place!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:36 PM   #14

Thank you, jeephotog.

During the tour, Tatay (my father-in-law) asked the driver about the Boholanosí dialect. Rene, our driver, said itís the same Cebuano from the neighboring island of Cebu. But, Rene added, the Boholanosí tone was different.

With the way he said that, it almost sounded as if he was implying that their tone was better-sounding than the Cebuanosí and perhaps the correct one. It was hard to tell but I thought I detected some pride -- especially when he followed the discussion by naming famous Boholanos: Cesar Montano, Yoyoy Villame, and Carlos P. Garcia -- as if maybe thereís a hearty competition going on between Boholanos and Cebuanos that went on for ages in the two islandsí histories.

I have never been to Cebu. Being one of the most progressive cities in the Philippines, I imagine Cebu and not Tagbilaran in Bohol would by a big margin be the bigger draw for tourism in the region.

Still, I canít help but wonder. Chocolate Hills and the Tarsiers are unique to the island and theyíre not even half of what the island has to offer. With the other man-made attractions, maybe the Boholanos are trying to outdo their neighbors and are succeeding -- at least to me they are.

Whatever the case, with the attractions we saw in Bohol -- especially with the kindness and trustworthiness displayed by the Boholanos we met who were likely not being coached from corporate headquarters to be nice but instead were just being their hospitable, humble selves -- I would say that visiting Bohol may make you put off plans for visiting other locales in the region Cebu included until a future date, at least until after oneís enchantment with Bohol had worn off, which might not happen for a very long time.

And even then, you might be surprised when instead you find yourself deciding on visiting Bohol a second time.

#17)

#18)

#19)

#20)

#20)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:47 PM   #15

3rd, 4th and 5th series are just amazing as well vvcarpio

Really like the duo tone images

Out of interest, how did you travel to Bohol, did you go via Cebu?

On a sad note, today (Dec 17th) I heard news that the Southern Philippines had been hit with flash floods and many had been killed.

May all who know of, and families who have suffered a loss today be at peace in their mind and souls.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:01 AM   #16

Thank you, Square one.

We went to Bohol on a direct flight from Manila. We did not go via Cebu. I imagine many people would go to Cebu (business and pleasure trips) then take a tour of the nearby island of Bohol.

Yes, it was a flash flood that happened when many people were asleep.

#21) "Man-Made Forest" attraction. No entrance fee -- just stop by the road to take pictures.

#22) The resort hotel we stayed at -- Bohol Coconut Palms.

#23)