Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11

Yes. But you have Adorama and J&R, right?
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:23 AM   #12

Adorama is still too far from work but it's close to home I haven't been to J&R's photo department. Is it worth checking out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Yes. But you have Adorama and J&R, right?
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #13

Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't been to J&R's photo department. And service in general is not like B&H's which is ultra-friendly. So I don't know...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:47 AM   #14

Adorama and B&H are my go to stores. I love B&H but I'm a lazy person so I end up at Adorama most of the time LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't been to J&R's photo department. And service in general is not like B&H's which is ultra-friendly. So I don't know...
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:20 AM   #15

Hi, cmoy. We were half day last Dec. 23rd so I made the sudden disappearance at noon . Anyway, my wife came with me to work and we went actually went to B&H afterwards. So my wife and I took some photos at B&H.

a) B&H store front.

I don't know if you can see in the pic but the security metal grille is already down on the store windows. Being that B&H is owned by a Jewish Orthodox (source: wikipedia.org) the store closes at 1pm Fridays (and is closed Saturdays). Many NYC tourists don't know that and I always see people wanting to get in after 1pm Saturday.

B&H provides bus service to its many Orthodox Jewish employees that live in Kiryas Joel in slightly upstate NY which is not far from where I live. Hmm, maybe when I retire I can work at B&H -- fun place, at the heart of my passion (photography), and free bus ride to and from work.

b) Ground floor. The rails at the ceiling are conveyors where stuff you bought upstairs are transported to the bagging department near the store's exit. You pick them up on the way out after you paid for them.

c) Bagging department. The green boxes lined up on the ceiling are actually stuff people bought and are now on the conveyor on their way to the bagging department.

There is always a cop standing by the bagging and checkout department. I suppose it's necessary because a lot of foreign-speaking tourists come to America to shop for big-ticket photography items -- and thieves and pickpockets would know that. It's not rare that I see a foreigner pay $4,000 in cash for a camera at the counter.

And now to continue with my cramped Midtown NYC pics...

#7) We went to Macy's after B&H. Being that it was the Friday before Christmas, I thought I could get some respite from the crowd on the streets by walking into Macy's but it was worse. The narrow aisles on all the floors I've been to were jam-packed. So I stepped outside again on Herald Square and took this photo.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:00 PM   #16

Great shots. But where the heck are all the people? I don't think I've ever seen pictures of NYC without the crowds???
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:58 PM   #17

Always enjoy your city photos. Nice work.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:17 AM   #18

Image #4 is the only one that works for me. I dislike converging verticals. it appears to me that a lot of post processing was involved with all the images.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:03 PM   #19

Thank you, TomH, jeephotog, Streets.

TomH, I use Dynamic Photo HDR (DPHDR) to create the HDR images which look pretty flat then enhance them using Topaz and Photoshop.

A by-product of DPHDR (and other HDR software) is the "ghosting" of moving objects such as people, sometimes to the point of invisibility.

But DPHDR is not the only reason there are no people in many of my shots. I take most of them around 7-8am, when there are hardly any tourists out yet, just people walking briskly to walk.

(And when I see a family out that early trying to beat the crowd with children in tow still looking sleepy, their excitement rubs off on me because I see my place of daily grind through fresh new eyes...)

During slower exposures of my HDR bracket, people that walk into my frame do not show in the image because they move fast. During the faster exposures, I time my shot so that no one is in my frame.

A few more shots taken the past few days are below with #s 10 and 11 taken today.

#8)

#9)

10)

#11)

#12) Not really midtown anymore (and not even winter) but downtown (in the summer). I just included it because, ah well, I like it.

When I started this series, I just wanted to experiment with objects near and far -- with far objects being famous NYC landmarks. It then dawned on me that in NYC if you don't look where you're going -- say, if you're constantly looking up at the skyscrapers, jumbotrons, and spires of old churches -- sooner or later you'll walk into a lamppost, step into a manhole, or tumble a large garbage can over (not to mention get run over by a bus just kidding). So indeed, this series may be a fairly accurate rendition of the NYC experience...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:39 PM   #20

Gorgeous as always, vv! I never tire of looking at your photos... You should publish a book, or something!

#11 is my favorite.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote