Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 6, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Default World's largest wind farm

These photos constitute less than half of the wind farm. They were taken looking east from the side of US277 12 miles west of Buffalo Gap, Texas. a similar sight is seen looking west but because of the sun position I could not properly take decent shots. These windmills account for thousands of bird and bat deaths every year. In spite of the large number of windmills here, they supply a very small portion of the state's electric power compared to natural gas and coal fired sources.

The photo are panned from left to right
Attached Images

100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2012, 2:46 AM   #2

unfortunately, coal-fired plants are among the world's worst sources of greenhouse gasses and pollution, and the power they produce is relatively costly.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 5:24 PM   #3

Nuclear powered electric generation is the best until sustained hydrogen fusion occurs. Wind power, at present, is not cost effective and if it were the only source of electricity your electric bill would be at least triple what you are paying now. In most areas of the U.S. there is little to no wind at night when the need for artificial light is at its highest. You probably have hydro-electric power and would not be affected by that little problem with the absence of wind. Not everyone has a Columbia River.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom

Last edited by Streets; May 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:35 AM   #4

agreed. unfortunately, fusion power is quite a way off yet, and after Three Mile Island and Chernobyl and Fukushima, there are so many people terrified of nuclear power plants, no one wants one within a hundred miles of them. and they're expensive to build. but at some point, people simply have to understand that if we want power, in the quantities we need, solar and wind alone ain't gonna do it, and for the time being, nuclear generating plants are the only way to go.

PS - like your tagline!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 5:58 AM   #5

Interesting thread. I have been to a number of wind-farms (both in Europe and here in Australia). Some of them are quite large (eg south eastern corner of the state of South Australia).

I didn't realise they were that bad against birds and bats! That's a shame. I'd heard wind power is not (yet) that efficient / cost effective. Here in South Australia, we have the third highest electricity prices in the world.... after an area in Germany and I think another region in Europe. I'm all for 'saving power' - but we do rely on it so much too!

I really hope that we (humans!) will soon be able to have a much safer, more affordable and environmentally friendly form of power. Solar power technology should be improved (I'm not an engineer - but doesn't collecting power during the day, still help for the night - I know AC power travels - and is different to DC power in eg batteries...)

Ok, to the photos... thanks for sharing Streets - I particularly like the foreground / middle and background setting - eg fence, grass and windmill / sky).

The 2nd photo is a bit brighter (more exposed) than the other 2, but it still works.

Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote