Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old May 21, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Fleurieu Peninsula Scenes - South Australia

Hi Friends

Last month (April 2012) - I went for a drive on a Saturday, enjoying warm mid autumn (fall) weather here in South Australia. It was a glorious sunny day, and I even went for a swim at the end of the day.

I'm sharing a few of these scenes with you here from that day. We are now nearing the beginning of winter - and I look forward to spring (I don't like winter much - but then again, it's not that miserable here in Adelaide, which has mild Mediterranean-like winters)!

Your comments and feedback would be appreciated. Hope you enjoy.

#1 - Myponga Reservoir. Built in the early 20th century, this stores water the nearby community.

Canon 350D with Sigma 10-20mm lens.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Default #2

A ferry coming from Kangaroo Island to the mainland (at Cape Jervis). Kangaroo Island (KI) is one of Australia's larger off-shore islands, and can be seen in the background.

KI is also reputed to be the most expensive Strait of water to cross, per kilometre.

Canon 7D with Canon 70-300mm L lens.

Paul
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2012, 11:34 PM   #3

Default #3

This photo I like, because (to me at least) it so strongly emphasises the 'land, sea, sky' elements!

The wispy clouds on a deep blue sky really came out well.

Canon 7D with Sigma 10-20mm lens.
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Default #4

And here is a view of a beach, taken from a cliff overlooking it.

There were a number of people on the beach (also cars are allowed on this beach). Some people fishing, others camping in tents.

Looking forward to your comments, friends.

Paul
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2012, 11:49 PM   #5

G'day, Paul, from "up over"..

You really have a good eye for composition. I like all three shots, but number one makes me want to be there.
I know we all have different tastes, and differing opinions on what constitutes a good photograph. For me, good focus notwithstanding, the three elements I look for are composition, color and contrast. That's why I like number one the best. The shot with the 10-20 Sigma is nice, I need a wide-angle zoom badly.

Thanks for the mini tour, I always enjoy your Australia pics!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:36 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

Nice to hear from you. This is my kind of photography. Rewarding to study. The small details make the picture. There's something to discover

#1 - the dam building on the upper left hot spot

#2 - the people on the ship

#3 - the motor home - is it?

#4 - the beach arrangement - what is it?

(My wide angle is being looked at by CSC- 10 days now - I miss it)

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:54 AM   #7

Hey Robert!!!

Thanks for your kind post and thoughtful words as always. It is an honour that you write I've got a good eye for composition.

It might be something different between 'Up Over' (aka 'Down Under') counting and you there, but aren't there 4 photos I posted?

Indeed - you're right that we all have different tastes, etc. I agree that those 3 "C"s - composition, colour and contrast are key elements.

Photo number 1 was probably the most time consuming to compose and do a few tweaks post processing.

Glad to share the mini Aussie tour with you (and others).

Best wishes... and hope you might manage to get a wide-angle sometime, my friend!

Paul

Last edited by pj1974; May 22, 2012 at 8:02 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 8:01 AM   #8

Hi Torgny

It's likewise great to connect here again. Thanks also for your post.

You are a person that understands the 'detail' - and I'm so glad you could pick up on some of the 'small - but interesting' elements in each photo.

#1 - yes, the dam has some functional buildings on it, and a few more nearby.
#2 - Ah yes, in the full resolution photo- I can make out more details of them, even guessing some of them are looking at me?
#3 - Yes, you are exactly right - it's a motorhome!
#4 - I'm not sure you mean, but I am looking down from a cliff to a natural beach. There are no rocks 'arranged' as a break on this beach (some beaches are). There is a road towards the beach, but out of this photo... you can see tire-tracks and vehicles on this beach.

Thanks again! I hope you'll get your wide-angle back soon. What exactly happened to it??

Paul