Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Cantonment Historic Site in New Windsor, NY

The Cantonment Historic Site in New Windsor, NY -- about 12 miles from West Point -- is where Washington issued the cease fire order that formally ended the Revolutionary War. Seven thousand Continental Army soldiers were encamped here and the log cabins in these photos are replicas of the ones they built in 1783, eight years after the war for Independence began.

#1) Some 700 log huts like these housed 7,000 troops and 500 women and children in the winter and spring of 1783.

#2) Grounds in back of the log huts.

#3) Grounds in front of the log huts.

#4) "Peace Tower Bell" according to one website I found. I will have to go back and take a photo of the inscription.

#5) I'm hoping this is one of the smaller huts. Otherwise if my math is correct about 100 people will have to fit in this log hut. [EDIT: Oops my math is wrong: 7,000 / 700 = 10, not 100. Ten per hut is not bad.]

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:34 PM   #2

How cute are those log cabins with their stone fireplace.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banksyinoz/
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:07 PM   #3

Another fab series from you, love em all, but are really liking the last one - great angle.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:11 AM   #4

Thank you, banksy, DyaneG.

Yesterday, being the 4th of July, was perhaps the best point of the park's existence and so was probably the best day of year to visit. Period-costumed cast were on hand giving out free demonstrations and events were scheduled throughout the day. Unfortunately, my timing was off and missed the events including the firing of the cannon. (I should make it a point to visit again next year.) I did however take some pictures and met some of the friendly cast at New Windsor Cantonment.

#6) The visitor gets a complete and real life demonstration of what a blacksmith did during Revolutionary times (1780s). The woman increased the fire by manually pumping the forge blower, put one end of a metal rod onto the flame, then set the glowing red end of the metal rod on an anvil and hammered a "monkey-in-a-barrel" s-shaped head.

#7) A corner in the blacksmith's shed.

#8) The "Temple of Virtue" was used as the encampment's chapel and for courts-martial hearings and officers' functions. It is also where George Washington defused a planned uprising by unpaid officers.

#9) Major General Henry Knox's headquarters.

#10) A woman (also in period costume but not shown) was initially sitting on the chair on the left. When I came and asked if I may take their picture, she switched chairs with the man now seated because she said it would look more real if two men were playing chess.

The man immediately posed as if he was about to make a move -- in "deep thought" he later said. The woman on the right could not contain her laughter at her fellow cast's acting while the man at center barely so.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote