Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:36 PM   #1

Default What You See vs. What You Get in Landscape Photography

I'm reading Galen Rowell's "Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" and he writes about previsualizing a photo before you take it. Here is a quote from the book:

...asking yourself before you click the shutter, "What am I responding to here? What are the essential values I need to include to communicate this concept or feeling in the visual foreign language of film?"

I'm having a hard time bringing this down to a workable, concrete concept :?: and I was wondering how all of you very talented photographers out there have applied this idea. Specific examples and photos appreciated!
Photo Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 8:49 AM   #2

I reply as a simple photographer who's just enjoying this wonderful hobbie.

I don't want to be disrespectful but I think my shutter would always be closed waiting to find an rational answer to those questions !

I mainly think about composition when I shoot.

I take a lot of shots and I usually edit/post 1 out of 10, 1 out of 20.

Most of my work is after shooting : this is the moment were I spend most of my time ( can be hours in some cases ).

But, honestly, I think that in my case most of the questions Mr Galen is raising have their answer only at an unconscious level of mine, if they ever have one at all sometimes.

On the contrary I think his questions are essential when u photograph for a living in fields were it is very important the message you want to convey : I'm thinking of advertising photography.
You HAVE to reply those questions before you shoot ! It's part of your work !

P.S. : You wanted some examples.
1) Completly unconscious at shooting time.The Vertical Panorama from Sass Pordi idea has raised while I was looking at two shots one after the other on my PC. I never thought of merging them at shooting time !

2) Partial conscious at shooting time ( sometimes it happens too ;-) ).
The second shot of "First Attempt To Models : 2" is an example :
I wanted to show photographers while shooting at a model , hence I started taking a lot of shots including both photographers and models from different angles.
The real work has been done at home.
I have selected the one that, beside being technically acceptable, was mostly expressive of that concept.

Just a model and a photographer with the model looking directly to him and the zoom pointing to her along this diagonal line.
The umbrella to remind that we are in a "studio" and justyfying her pose : no doubt about the fact we are looking at a model and at a photographer shooting at her.

However, I'm realizing that I'm having this rational description only now that I'm writing it : when I selected it and cropped/edited the shot it all happened in a most uncoscious way.

That's how it happens to me !
But I'm curious to know about other people experience.

A nice post Photo Gump !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:25 AM   #3

Sorry, I'm just realizing that that shot isn't properly an example of outdoor photography

Ok, the same thing however it has occurred for this shot "Draught Along Po River" :

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtsergio
However, I'm realizing that I'm having this rational description only now that I'm writing it : when I selected it and cropped/edited the shot it all happened in a most uncoscious way.
*I* think Galen Rowell is saying that taking a moment to consciously compose the photo with that part of the scene that triggered your emotional reaction to it will consistently produce better photos.

But, like you wrote in your post brtsergio, I'm not taking as many photos. Maybe that's a good thing . I have a very hard time deciding what the "essence" of the scene is. OTOH, I feel it's something I need to work on because of all of the photos I take that I feel are "flat".
Photo Gump is offline   Reply With Quote