Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Duluth, MN

This is a crop of a picture of the bridge in Duluth, MN that raises to let ships enter Duluth Harbor from Lake Superior. It was taken from the 8th floor of a hospital using mega blocks as a makeshift tripod (the eye level window had a screen but the window above it - about 7 feet high - didn't )

you can see the original picture here:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~iver0178/DuluthOriginal.jpg

and here's the original after unsharp mask:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~iver0178/DuluthUnsharpMask.jpg

Anyone have any tips for working with pictures like this?? I thought unsharp mask did pretty good but was wondering if there's something better.
lennon_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2

It's very difficult to get something real good out of a shot like this. It all depends of the shooting of the scene. You have to use a tripod or another solid ground. Taking shots through a window will often be great if you press the lens against the glass and keep it totally still. I've shot several photos like that with success.

Nightshots like this one have to be pinsharp!

If you want to know more on nightshots feel free to visit my website. Lot of tips and tricks!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:21 PM   #3

Yeah, I'm starting to figure that out (the hard way). It also didn't help that this shot was at full zoom.

Here's a different version I just did using Focus Magic. I think it turned out quite a bit better.

Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:30 PM   #4

well, no need to invent the thin plate once again! Use other peoples experiences...

I didn't know that program...I have to try it myself. Thanks.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:47 PM   #5

I hate to do it again (last time I promise) but after using your Smart Sharpen method I was pretty embarrased(sp?) with my other versions.

I also did some color correction on this one and did one more "generic" Sharpen on top of the smart sharp to clear up some of the buildings - MUCH better, thanks for the great tutorials!

Also, Focus Magic is a photoshop plugin, there's a demo available somewhere(not sure where, google it ) but I'm not too impressed with it (especially after seeing the results from doing it the way on your web page ;P )
Old Feb 16, 2004, 6:41 PM   #6

I live in MN, too. About 2 hours away from the place you took that photo, but my dad works up there... or used to I think. Anyways, cool to see someone from my neck of the woods! Ya sure... you betcha!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote