Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 18, 2004, 2:50 AM   #1

Default Cloudscapes

Hi Everyone,

Not had a chance to go out and get some shots lately, but here are a couple from a while back. Comments welcome (only way I can improve)....

Regards,

Richard.
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:54 AM   #2

Richard, I like both pictures. I'm not one to be giving advice, so you don't need to listen to me, but I think the sunset would be prettier if you put in some red and orange tints with an editor. I like the tractor pic alot, and it looks good to me like it is, but some of these smarter folks with photographic talent might tell you it needs cropped and the tractor placed with the rule of thirds in mind. I think Barbara's got a little lesson about that rule somewhere in these forums. Nice photos though.
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:43 AM   #3

Nice photos, the one with the tractor has great lighting; with the main scene sandwiched between those dark clouds and the foreground shadow.

Did you "burn-in" the foreground or is that foreground shadow natural? Looks just right either way.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:56 AM   #4

I also like the strong lighting in the 2nd photo. Perhaps some cropping of the fence top at the bottom of the shot. Nicely done.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 1:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. All my photos are original, I only change the Gamma sometimes. The shadow was there. I might crop the fence of on the tractor one.

This is one taken before the other -

I have another of it when the sun is really setting, much more colour in it, but its not on the web yet, sorry...

Thanks,

Richard.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:09 PM   #6

There will always be many views on how to make a good image a little better, so excuse me if I say that I find the fence helps emphasises the foreground shadow and provides some foreground interest, so might look even better with more fence. Too much fence could be a problem.

Happy to be corrected I can only really tell after viewing the changes.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:37 PM   #7

Well, there are no absolutes in photography. There are guidelines for effective shots, but those guidelines are often broken with great results. And one persons opinion will generally contrast with anothers.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:51 PM   #8

Default imho

I agree that the fence as it is would probably benefit from some sort of attention. Cropping it out would clean the image up, but if you include more of the fence then you add to the existing pattern of vertical lines.

fence, shadow, field, field with crop, wall line, cloudline, 2nd cloudline..

Just a pity the ground isn't flat..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:23 AM   #9

I'll post a picture with the fence cropped out later today, thanks for all the tips, very informative...
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:20 AM   #10

I like the second photo the best. You can see the sun breaking through the clouds by the lighting effects.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote