Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 18, 2004, 4:37 PM   #1

Default Evening Glow - Urban Landscape

When I saw this image after scanning, I knew there was something worthwhile in there, just had to find a way to “release” it. I deliberately left the tram cable in the picture because I think it helps bring the eye down to the face. I also blurred (Gaussian blur) the road, pavement and body, again to emphasise the face.

It’s this ladies birthday shortly and one of her presents will be a framed 8 x 10 so please please let me have your comments just in case I have got this badly wrong.

[/url]
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

She looks kind of sad and almost out of touch with the big bright world that is the skyscrapers... but that's just my opinion and not a technical issue with the shot...

Are you able to clone out the powerline or whatever it is, that would be my suggestion..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:18 AM   #3

I'm no expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I like the photo very much overall, but the only place the tram cable leads my eye is to the tram cable. I would clone it out. The blurring effect may have given you the look you want, but it seems to me that the face is really small in such a big picture to be the main focal point. I tend to think those big colorful skyscrapers are the attention getter. The big issue here though, is, will it make an exceptable birthday gift to the lady? Of course I don't know anything about this lady, or your relationship to her, but I would think unless a person is really vain, they wouldn't want a photo of themself as a gift. It would be a different story if it was a photo of her with family or friends. Of course this could be a meaningful shot for her because of where it's taken or something which would be fine. Anyway, my thinking is, if you are set on making her a personal photo as a gift, I would suspect she would prefer a photo of anyone else that she loves over a photo of herself........Help me out here ladies.....Do I even have a clue what I'm talking about?
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 5:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback Jack and PlatinumWeaver, appreciate the comments.

The lady is a good friend and our only relationship is that we once worked together. The photo was taken early evening on a Sunday and is near the museum in Dallas (we were on a business trip and took the opportunity to see an art exhibition at the museum). What struck me was the contrast between “the big bright world that is the skyscrapers” lit up by the fading sun and the dismal empty street in shadow, so I got her to walk along and glance back.

The picture is intended to be more of a landscape (or should I say cityscape) than a portrait. What my wife calls one of my “weirdo pictures” that is neither landscape nor family picture because the small scale of family figures is dwarfed by other things. However, I think with the right “treatment” a small figure can still appear as an important element of a larger composition which is what I was striving for. Need to think a bit more about that

I really am not sure about that tram power cable – seems it is going to have to go, yet is it not an important element of this cityscape?

Thinking about what Jack said, not so sure whether it makes a suitable gift now. If it were YOU in the picture and someone gave it to you – how would you feel?
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:18 AM   #5

I like the photo but also would have removed the tram cable.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:59 AM   #6

In my opinion... I felt that this photo could have been 2 seperate photo's. I like the bright shine of the buildings, and the rush of the road with the person being swept along, but not together.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:48 AM   #7

I tend to agree with Moon Gypsey on this one. The powerful effects of the sun on the buildings certainly overpowers the woman on the street. From my perspective, it renders her as an afterthought or passerby.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:12 PM   #8

Costas, after hearing you describe the look you were after and hearing about the circumstances of the shot, I have a revised opinion. First, I think you achieved the look you wanted. The way you described the contrast of the big world of the city against the desolate street makes me see the photo the way you intended, and I like it alot. It reminds me of once when I was driving to Atlanta, and I was traveling on a rural type highway among scattered homes and small stores, and when topping a steep hill, the highway continued straight for a long ways into the distance with little traffic and hills and trees all around. In the distance though, between an opening in the hills and trees, these huge skyscrapers in Atlanta shot way up in the air, lit up by the sun, and it had a look very much like your photo. I wish I had a camera at the time. Anyway, I now think the photo will make an exceptable gift to the lady, as it will remind her of a day with a good friend. I still think that cable distracts from the beauty of it all, but since it's a memory shot, it can't distract from the memory. The thing I'm wondering about though, is, it doesn't look like the right size ratio to get a true 8x10. You might want to consider having a frame custom made. Better yet, since you said you and the lady were on your way to an art exhibit, and you did have your camera along. You must have got more shots of her, as well as some artwork, and possibly some shots of yourself. How about putting together a little photo album of the days events. I think that would make a great birthday gift.
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:45 PM   #9

If you take out the tram cable, then someone will want the light pole removed. The cable is there in real life and it is part of the photo.

Just my opinion.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:41 AM   #10

as moon gypsie said.....i think it would look good as two seperate photos too. the one thing i noticed is......are the buildings vertical? cuz it kinda looks like they're leaning to me......same with some of the poles. (it might just be me......or the yellow triangular bit of color going up the middle building......)
i'm not really sure wat to say about the tram cable......you "could" take it out......but then it might take something away from the picture......(the tram cable would be taken away lol)
but it is up to you......being the one that took it
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote