Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:39 AM   #11

You know, Rod has a good idea there about cropping. Your horizon line divides the picture in half. Depending on what you want to convey in the photo, you can crop out some of either the sky or the foreground. Cropping the sky lends more importance to the farm buildings; cropping the foreground gives a sense of how tiny we are in the greater scheme of things.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Peter, it never occurred to me to put it on a chain or string. Sometimes it's the simplest of solutions that escape me!

I use a version of this that I cut out of cardboard because I wanted more surrounding cardboard. I tend to get distracted by what's going on at the periphery of my vision, particularly when I'm framing with the cutout some distance from my eyes.
if only they'd invent a camera with as wide angle view as our eyes....God's work is amazing to me.......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:37 AM   #13

Although the true horizon is pretty much centerline, the foreground fence and hill define another line that is at the 1/3 area. I might crop some sky to make the picture fit printing paper, but otherwise I'd leave it as is.

(Actually, I just like being a contrarian.... :lol: :lol: )
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:12 PM   #14

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

I scrolled down to cut off some of the sky and it showed that a healthy crop looks better than a malnourished one. :P (In New York, we call that a Bronx cheer. )
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:27 PM   #15

I might crop it, but I tend to like my photos without major change. Two things I occasionally change (neither have been done so on these two), is Gamma, and cropping off unwanted features like wires etc - Saying that, they can sometimes make the picture more interesting. I thought about going out today, but the light was really very poor, and its raining. Planning on getting up early tommorow if its to be clear (hopefully the weather will be on my side!), as from that same location there are superb views over the town, which is the way the sunrises...
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:05 PM   #16

I saw someone before post their image with a white border, and it was quite effective. Gave it a go up above on #2, quite surprising how it brings out the photo...
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:11 PM   #17

Quote:
quite surprising how it brings out the photo...
Yes, it works the same as matting a photo before framing it. Usually, either a white or black matte works superbly online, but when physically matting a photo, now and then trying to match a particular color in the photo to bring it out can work wonders.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:18 PM   #18

Could someone define this word matting for me? Heard it many times but unsure of its definition. Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:37 PM   #19

You've seen it, but you just didn't know the name for it. When you look at a framed picture, and if it's done properly such as in a gallery, you'll see that there's the photo, then there's a cardboard frame around it--often black or white--and then there's the actual frame in which the photo and its border are placed. The cardboard used for this purpose is called matte (sometimes mat) board. Thus, when its used, it's said that the picture has been "matted."
Old Feb 20, 2004, 2:26 PM   #20

btw.....is it better to make your own mattes....(using a matte cutter)? or would it be cheaper to just buy them in bulk.......i've seen a matte cutter in A.C. Moore but my mom said it was hard.......is this true? and is it cheaper to buy the cardboard?(i guess you could do matts that would fit irregular pictures better.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote