Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:02 PM   #1

Default Sunny Conditions

Hi All,

Just got back a few hours ago and took these. Not too good, but, oh well...

Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

Not too bad either. In the first photo, you've used perspective well, though I'd have liked the final destination of those converging lines to have been clearer, and maybe it is in the original--JPEG's are destructive little critters.

In the second photo, you've once again managed to use the elements of the landscape to lead the eye to what appears to be a farm in the distance. Again, I don't know if it's focus or those pesky JPEG's making the buildings fuzzy.

Be all that as it may, these photos convey a wonderful peacefulness in the landscape. I'll bet that's what you thought when you stood there with a slight breeze blowing by, and that's what I think simply looking at your photos.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:39 PM   #3

While both photos show some good composition, I like the 2nd shot better. It is a very peaceful shot of the countryside. I like the way the farmhouse in the background and the gate in the foreground are framed by the two trees on either side of the opening in the brush.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 3:27 AM   #4

Comments are helping quite a lot, I am now looking for something to frame the picture when out taking shots. It was very peaceful out there, yes, also the wall shot was not an easy one, had to climb the wall with camera in one hand! All worth it though. Not looking good today, very cloudy...
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Not looking good today, very cloudy...
Don't count out cloudy days for photography. Depending on the quality of light, you can sometimes get more brilliant color when the sun isn't washing out that color. Also, even a downright dreary day has its own photographic appeal. Go forth and multiply those pictures!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:03 AM   #6

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I have an old plastic 35mm slide holder(slide poked out) on a chain around the neck.

You can just hold it up and frame you subject quickly to get an idea of what things will look like before you set up for a shot.

I see that Colorwheelco is offering the ViewCatcher, a largish plastic version of this idea for sale now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W
Comments are helping quite a lot, I am now looking for something to frame the picture when out taking shots. It was very peaceful out there, yes, also the wall shot was not an easy one, had to climb the wall with camera in one hand! All worth it though. Not looking good today, very cloudy...
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:16 AM   #7

Peter, it never occurred to me to put it on a chain or string. Sometimes it's the simplest of solutions that escape me!

I use a version of this that I cut out of cardboard because I wanted more surrounding cardboard. I tend to get distracted by what's going on at the periphery of my vision, particularly when I'm framing with the cutout some distance from my eyes.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:59 AM   #8

That chain idea came to me after going through dozens of misplaced slide holders. This way I can't put it down and forget it somewhere.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:18 AM   #9

I'm off to do the chain thing right now...even if I have to steal the chain from a light pull.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:26 AM   #10

Default Second Image

I very much like the second image - good composition and teatment of the subject. The mutted colors are wonderful. Too bad there are no clouds, next time, perhaphs you could place an order for "clouds" before making the trip to photograph. Have you considered cropping the sky to some degree. I don't know if it will work, but the "lightroom" makes the task easy.

Regardless, your efforts are well rewarded by such a fine piece of work.

Roderick (a.k.a. Rod)
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote