Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Aruba sunrise

Got up early one morning on a recent vacation and drove in a jeep off road up past the California lighthouse just in time to catch the sun rising. The sprinklers visible in the photo are at the one golf course on the island. Olympus E-PL2, Lumix 14mm f2.5 @ 2.8, 1/3200 sec, ISO 200, sitting on a tripod.

Aruba Sunset 4 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM   #2

G'dau Ewen

Nearly 100 views and no comments - so may I offer some

I do enjoy sunrises & sunsets - tho for my visual tastes, I like big bold fiery balls-of-fire

I find the large amount of sky makes me 'lose' the sun itself, and the darkened foreground is hard to see detail within it

If it were mine, I would shoot either - red line 2:3 format or yellow line pano 2,5:1 format and chase my sunrise this way

I do realise it comes down to optics - what you have at the time &/or what's in your pocket

Hope this is okay with you
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'dau Ewen

Nearly 100 views and no comments - so may I offer some

I do enjoy sunrises & sunsets - tho for my visual tastes, I like big bold fiery balls-of-fire

I find the large amount of sky makes me 'lose' the sun itself, and the darkened foreground is hard to see detail within it

If it were mine, I would shoot either - red line 2:3 format or yellow line pano 2,5:1 format and chase my sunrise this way

I do realise it comes down to optics - what you have at the time &/or what's in your pocket

Hope this is okay with you
Phil
Hey Phil,

Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! As you said it sometimes comes down to what's in your pocket and I made the mistake on this morning of taking my gear from the air conditioned hotel room outside to the semi-humid warm air. As a result the 14-54mm zoom I could have used to zoom in a bit more was fogging really badly, only the small mostly plastic lumix 14mm f2.5 came up to temp in time to stay fog free.

Anyways here's a re-crop like you suggested with a little bit of tweaking on top of that, I agree it makes it more about the sunrise and that's a good thing, cropping for me is a hard thing to do as I always fret about cropping out too much

Aruba Sunrise Crop by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Dec 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:20 PM   #4

G'day mate

cropping for me is a hard thing to do as I always fret about cropping out too much

It's not just you - I find it's very common

For my workshops I ask students to bring 1/2-dozen or so prints from recent images for the general photo discussion session each morning

I have cut up a 10" x 12" mat board to create 2- cardboard "L"s, which are placed onto prints students bring, and then we play "search for pictures inside pictures"

Most 'good' images then come up with one or more sub-images after a bit of cropping and often get a few 'wow' - that's great comments from around the table

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote