Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1

Default Winter In The Dolomites : Passo Rolle - Panorama

This is a Photostitch of 2 shots taken in Passo Rolle, in the italian Alps.

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:31 PM   #2

I nearly got a nose print on the monitor trying to see a seam. Saw none.

Really nice, Sergio. The panorama gives a sense of the width, depth, and height of the space.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:48 PM   #3

I love that picture reminds me of when I used to go skiing. As Barbara said, great depth and achieved by the panoramic view.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:49 PM   #4

gj again sergio!
i really want to go to the Italian Alps now
good job with the stitching too

aren't panorama's with people hard?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:14 PM   #5

Great photo, wish I was there for a few weeks.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
Not as long as you don't put the people on the stitch line.

That's one cool concept about panorams like this one. Those people weren't actually in those places at the same time. It kind of creates a new dimension that combines the actions during two different times at one location.
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:28 AM   #7

Quote:
It kind of creates a new dimension
Uh-oh, now you've gone and done it. I'm going to be thinking about this off and on for the rest of the day. How am I going to get bills paid if I'm puzzling over the always intriguing concept of time?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:03 PM   #8

Thanks everybody !

Seamless ?

No seams ? Well, maybe because it is small :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beside kidding, sometimes Panorama tools must be helped.

My Panorama Maker doesn't always assign match-points in a correct way for instance : most of times I have to set them manually.

My PanoramaMaker says it does an automatical exposure correction but this is not always good and it doesn't deal with white balancing.
So I have tryed a white balance correction on the two single shots before stitching them.

This time however the task was even more complicated for it :
The two shots were not meant to become stitched together at shooting time : the second shot has been taken with the zoom while the first one with the wide angle, hence the dimensions of the objects in the two shots was different by a 1:1.5 ratio.

Well, PanoramaMaker succeded rather well in merging them but for some artifacts I had to erase with the clone stamp tool.

The biggest problem was the vertical merge of the sky : since the two shots were of different scale, and no matter how I tried to make a previous brightness correction on the individual shots a big vertical line appeared separating a dark blue zone from a light cyan one.

I could have operated a sky substitution but I liked the cloudy part on the right.

So, I procedeed in the following way : I used a mix of soft big/small smudge,blur,clone stamp,patience,dodge,burn tool brushes to fade that awful line into a cloudy look sky.

That slanted light part of sky on the left of the mountain peak has been completly digitally rebuilt : the original sky was completly clear in that place.

I tought someone would have noticed it but it did not occur, so , I take it as a compliment for the moment

Hard Panoramas
Quote:
Quote:
Not as long as you don't put the people on the stitch line.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutly right !

Last year I took a 6 shots (for an almos 180 pano) of a square in Milan taken from behind a big fountain.

When I stiched them there was always something wrong : I then realized that cars moving in the traffic are not easy to manage :lol: :lol:

Those people weren't actually in those places at the same time.

This concept has been exploited in a very nice way by I do not remember who ( maybe Frank Dorhof ? ) and in which forum last year.
I remember he made a panorama of his garden with 4-5 shots : his wife was apperaring in every shot so the panorama had his wife in 5 different positions as she walked along a path.
I remember he created a rotating support for this : does anybody here remember the post ?
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote