Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge

I went with a friend to the Tacoma area to attend a Birding Festival at Edmonds. Sorry to say that there were not much to see. Here is a few pictures from the Wildlife Refuge.
Attached Images

Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:23 AM   #2

if you were at the Edmonds Birdfest, you were only about 15 miles south of where i live!

NWR isn't a bad spot, but there are better, and it's also the worst time of year for birding"... the courtship/mating activity of spring is over, the babies are mostly grown, and the activity level is way down. another 4-6 weeks, and most of the summer residents will be leaving or gone, and the winter birds will start coming in. the best times for any activity at NWR or any of the birding spots in Washington is between the end of March and about the middle of June. after that, it quiets down a lot, and by September, there's hardly any activity.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
if you were at the Edmonds Birdfest, you were only about 15 miles south of where i live!

NWR isn't a bad spot, but there are better, and it's also the worst time of year for birding"... the courtship/mating activity of spring is over, the babies are mostly grown, and the activity level is way down. another 4-6 weeks, and most of the summer residents will be leaving or gone, and the winter birds will start coming in. the best times for any activity at NWR or any of the birding spots in Washington is between the end of March and about the middle of June. after that, it quiets down a lot, and by September, there's hardly any activity.
Thanks, Rocky! I should have check with you and otherswhich live in Washington on the forum before we went. We figured that Edmonds was hosting a Bird Festival thinking that they knew what they were doing but they didn't. It turned out that this was their first time doing a Bird fest. The information you provided is valuable. I am sure that I will go to to visit Washington again in the near future. I like the places I visited in Washington. I would probably move up there if I am younger.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Thanks, Rocky! I should have check with you and otherswhich live in Washington on the forum before we went. We figured that Edmonds was hosting a Bird Festival thinking that they knew what they were doing but they didn't. It turned out that this was their first time doing a Bird fest. The information you provided is valuable. I am sure that I will go to to visit Washington again in the near future. I like the places I visited in Washington. I would probably move up there if I am younger.
yeah, the "Birdfest" is really more a celebration of birds in art, and a discussion of birds and the environment, than an actual "birding" event... Edmonds has some decent spots, especially for marine/waterfowl, but they're not exactly a prime birding location. probably the best place in the Seattle area is Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland - most of my best bird and waterfowl photos were shot there, including rare or very reclusive birds like rails and sora, as well as almost every kind of duck in WA... there are also hawks and eagles, a variety of "tweety" birds, otters, beaver, muskrats, and other wildlife on occasion... not bad for a li'l ol' city park that used to be a golf course!

Nisqually is okay in spring; Ridgefield, down near Vancouver, WA, is supposedly better, but the one time i was there, it was very disappointing. there are some good spots a bit farther north to shoot certain birds at certain times of the year, but Juanita is one of those places where you can go spend and afternoon and come away with some fabulous shots of a lot of different birds. next time you're thinking of coming up this way, plan for April or so, and let me know... i'll show you the place... bring a long lens and plan to spend the day there!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:57 PM   #5

Thanks, Rocky! This is my first trip going birding outside of California. My buddy Donald was thinking that Washington might be better than California because of more open space, but failed to recognize that it was the wrong time of the year to go there. Anyway, we learned something form this trip. Hopefully with help from local birders like you and John, the trip will be more fruitful if we go visit Washington again. Thank you very much in advance!