Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:35 AM   #1

Default Beach Scene @ Yellow Craigs, Scotland

Hi
I took this one yesterday. When I got to the beach the lighthouse was the first thing to catch my eye though getting an effective photo of it was challenging as there was not a whole lot to work with and it was a little early in the evening to get a dramatic sunset with it. Anyway this was what I came up with. Do you like it. Does it work well? I mean the vertical composition with the drift wood right up front and the lighthouse at the very top?

I would really appreciate feedback here.

Thank you
Martin Paul.

http://www.photographyten.com

mpaul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:23 AM   #2

This does work IMHO!

A standard shot of the lighthouse would have been boring, but you have shown us the whole scene!

Regards,

Steve
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:24 AM   #3

Remember, this is just my own take on composition, but I would have moved a touch farther to the right so the driftwood ended up more to the left and pointing at an angle to the lighthouse. There's a visual tension between the lighthouse and the wood, but it's a bit "jumpy." With a more diagonal line of sight, the tension would still be there, but the leaping back and forth wouldn't be...um, I think, anyway.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:47 AM   #4

You're right, it is a bit of an 'eye jumper' this one, and I don't really like it for that reason. I wish I had taken a couple more from different position as you suggested. I think I only took the one because the scene didn't really inspire me ...I wanted to go find something better. Unfortunately I didn't! Next time maybe.

Regards
Martin Paul.

http://www.photographyten.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
Remember, this is just my own take on composition, but I would have moved a touch farther to the right so the driftwood ended up more to the left and pointing at an angle to the lighthouse. There's a visual tension between the lighthouse and the wood, but it's a bit "jumpy." With a more diagonal line of sight, the tension would still be there, but the leaping back and forth wouldn't be...um, I think, anyway.
mpaul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
I think I only took the one because the scene didn't really inspire me ...I wanted to go find something better.
We all do this, every last one of us. If only we had two modes for our eyes, one for everyday activity, the other for seeing just as our cameras see.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:14 PM   #6

I love it!
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:17 PM   #7

i like it too.....yes a bit jumpy but.....i like the driftwood there
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:19 PM   #8

I really like the colors of the water and how it reflects. I think this picture would look great in a frame.

It is amazing what a good frame can do to a picture.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:22 PM   #9

I have to agree with the "jumpy" remark. Makes the mind wander from the driftwood to the lighthouse to the driftwood...what's the subject. Otherwise a great shot.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:14 PM   #10

Using the bottom of the monitor I cropped the driftwood out and there just wasn’t enough leftover to hold the eye. The driftwood is definitely the eye-catching subject with the lighthouse as the final transition point. Maybe had you visited the weekly challenge last week and went over the rule of thirds, it may have stuck in your mind when you shot this and put the driftwood on one of the intersections. If this photo has been cropped I suggest perusing the rule of thirds postings and possibly try re-cropping.

The colors are beautiful and you did a very good job of capturing the sky and water.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote