Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:42 PM   #1

Default FULL MOON

I was messing around with trying to SHOOT THE MOON! It is full tonight. What is the best way to take pictures of this bright object? I am using the S5000 took a few with the night setting, and they were a big blur. I did take one on a manual setting and it turned out ok.

Please, any suggestions would be great!

Todd Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:29 AM   #2

Hiyas!

In both pictures the bright areas are over exposed. Try to avoid that. You cannot correct over-exposed areas in photoshop (the information is no longer there). But you can correct under-exposed pictures generally speaking. Also, it looks a bit noisy, try running it through neatimage to remove the noise.

Just two suggestions :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:57 AM   #3

or on the moon one....you can just switch to greyscale and back to get rid of the "colored noise" and then it looks pretty good...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4

Ok thank you for the info. I am new to the photo area. Your sugestions are great, but not knowing how to set the shutter and apature to take a photo like this is why they came out the way they did. Do I want the apature to open very little on a shot like this? What about shutter speed? Do I want it fast or slow? I hope I got the de settings corect? I am still learning how they work.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:46 AM   #5

well i did not know this before a week ago.....but because the moon is reflecting the suns light...you want to use the "sunny f16" settting.....which you use f16 arperture and the oposite of your film speed as your shutter speed.....if your camera doesn't go to f16 (like mine ) you can go down to f8 and go up a shutter speed.....

hope this helps
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:53 PM   #6

Ok I took a look at our camera. It only goes up to F8. So if I am using a 400 film should I set the shutter at 400 or one or two above this? Meaning a faster shutter speed?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:58 PM   #7

well if you use F8.0 and ISO 50 (this is less noisy than 400)
than you can use a 1/100 shutter

this is all done with knowledge of stops.....which on stop is half or double the number you have so down one stop from f16 would be f8 and since you go down like that you have to change the shutter or the ISO up one to make the exposure correct. So you could either use 1/100 with ISO 50 and F8 arperture or 1/50 with ISO100 and F8 arperture.....

get it?
hope this helps
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:05 PM   #8

I shot the moon with my s7000 in 3MP and my results came out a bit cleaner just by setting the shutter to 1/1000th, ISO 200 and a tripod. Give it a go with those setting and take a look at them side by side...

Mine with S7000 @ 3megaPixel, F 3.1, Shutter 1/1000th, ISO 200:

Yours with S5000 @ 3 MegaPixel, F 3.2, Shutter 1/2000th, ISO 400

My orig. thread link http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=22027
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:24 PM   #9

your MUCH better off with a low ISO
i almost always use ISO 50....unless i absolutely have to use a higher one.....too much noise...
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
your MUCH better off with a low ISO
i almost always use ISO 50....unless i absolutely have to use a higher one.....too much noise...
Well thats a pretty broad statement... ISO depends a LOT on your camera/equipment ... aperature gives you some range in depth of what your shooting also
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote