Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:41 PM   #1

Default ([Foggy Day])

It was extremely foggy yesterday......so i thought i'd try to take a couple shots with wat i learned in two books i got (Jim Shaw and Boyd Nortons books)
this picture was one of three i took.....with two different exposures.....this was the darker of the two.....the sky is burnt out.....i'm not sure how i'd do better next time........the sun was off in front of me to the right a bit....

enjoy

ISO 50
Shutter Speed-1/60
Arperture-F8.0
Auto White Balance
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:24 PM   #2

In spite of the sky, it's a fine photo. Fog isn't the easiest thing to portray. I know--I've been trying to capture it for a long time. It seems as if it easily fools the camera's meter, and sometimes you get over-exposures, sometimes under.

Since you say you used a couple of different exposures, you obviously suspected possible metering problems, and it appears you ended up choosing the one I always end up choosing too: the darker one.

Something I never think about until it's far too late is to take an exposure for the sky and an exposure for the scene. By layering one over the other in Photoshop, you can erase all the parts of one where you want to reveal the parts of the other.

Still another method is to make a duplicate layer, set its blending mode to multiply, adjust the opacity so, for instance, the sky looks right, then erase the other parts, blending edges where necessary.

Any fog experts out there?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:29 PM   #3

well i did try using photoshop to darken the sky....but i wasn't sure which layer mode to use....it is multiply? i've found a way of using levels to make a highlight and shadow layer......and now i just need to find a way to join them
i could erase the parts....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

Fog is tough especialy given the three dimensional depth it has ... .. ever try using a flash in fog? like driving through it with high beams on ! But when its done right the resulty are incredible.. One day Ill get it right ... maybe LOL
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:20 PM   #5

That's an interesting thought--using a flash. The only thing is, you'd have to have some really heavy fog for it, wouldn't you? Normally what I see around here is the kind of fog Vito photographed.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote