Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:19 AM   #1

Default need opinions on my local beach photo

This is my local swimming beach here in Albany west australia. I want to enter this in one of my local photo club competitions. There is a glare on the water in three places that I cant seem to remove well with photoshop. I managed to remove the glare on the shoreline but gave up trying on the water as it looked fake. Is it really noticable??
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:46 AM   #2

Pretty pic! I'm not noticing a glare in the water so much as that there is not much detail in the trees. You had a very high contrast situation . Probably not much you can successfully do about it.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:47 AM   #3

The best way to control glare and reflections of shiny objects is with a Circular Polarizing Filter. I found that Hoya is the best manufacturer in my opinion with Tiffen as a second.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:20 AM   #4

oh beautiful water here! not a bad shot either.....could probably use some tree detail....
and watever you did to the water.....i'd have to see the original to tell i think.....cuz i don't see anything wierd here...lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:51 AM   #5

heres the original, note the glare is worse and yes the water was this color
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:54 AM   #6

my husband says the glare is actually the shadows of the trees on the water
Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:04 PM   #7

Sorry, lady, but I really think the original is better. I agree with your husband about what you're seeing in the water, and you lose some of the detail in the trees by trying to change things.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:23 PM   #8

Hello There aladyfourty,

Three points have been made in your replies, two I agree with, yes a Circular Pol filter would help, yes it is a very high contrast scene,
I do not agree with the tree reflections though.

Yesterday I photographed 79 seascapes on Queenslands Sunshine Coast, most of which were high contrast, when I saw your photo I opened up yesterdays images to see if I had anything that would compare.

I found plenty of glare on my images, mostly caused by cloud reflections, also rising waves catching the sunlight, even in calmer waters water movement caused highlights/glare.

It is natural to get glare in water, to remove it I think would make water look fake, your picture looks very nice, cant wait to get over and photograph it myself.

We in Australia, the skin cancer capital of the world have to contend with brilliant sunshine, there is very little one can do to improve details in the shaded areas.

Regards
Dave
Downunder.
daverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:37 AM   #9

Lady,

Here's a another viewpoint but not about the tech qualities of the picture which I think has already been addressed. It's more about the composition.

First, the picture is good as it is with some of the suggestions made previously, however my personal opinion is that the jetty occupies too much of the horizontal space in the shot. It doesn't have enough space to breathe on the right.

I think by showing more of the ocean and beach on the right it will give more impact to the image of the jetty stretching out into the ocean. Also to solve some of your other problems maybe a late afternoon or evening shot would be a cure for some of the lighting problems.

Of course if you can't go back to the location and follow up on my suggestions it's pretty much a bust.

Aloha and keep clicking away.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 3:18 AM   #10

actually my husband corrected me and has said he meant the dark spaces between the glare are the shadows from the trees. I think the glare is coming from cloud and the waves.