Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Zero Tide Sunset at the Tidepools

It's not very often that low tide and sunset happen simultaneously. Looking North-West from the Palos Verdes Peninsula you can see a the line of smoke in the atmosphere from the Thomas fire.
Sony ILCE 6000, Sony E18-200 @ 18mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/200 sec, -0.7 ev.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:11 PM   #2

That's a very striking picture indeed. I wondered what it might look like if there had been just a little detail in the shadows that might have been captured if you'd used HDR.

My curiosity made me try the nearest thing which was to crop the picture so that the dark bit that has a little detail showed up just a little bit more.

The result doesn't equal the original, but perhaps it's interesting in itself?
Attached Images

Last edited by Herb; Dec 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:04 PM   #3

Hey Herb,
Thanks for replying . The photo does have some very dark areas around the bottom and your crop definitely reduces those areas. Honestly I didn't give the dark areas much thought while processing it. I focused mainly on the sky and reflection. I remember placing the sun in the cross-hairs of the viewfinder (rule of thirds lines) while taking the shot and thats probably why I didn't crop it.
I try to pull up shadows when I process photo's but I don't use any HDR software. I've tried using HDR software but I usually end up going overboard with it. I have seen some incredible photo's that could have only been done with HDR software. cmoy from this forum comes to mind. I think his use of HDR is excellent. There is a place for HDR I just haven't felt the need to learn it yet.
The detail in these particular rocks are not very interesting. There very dark, jagged with anemone's and slippery kelp all over them. Here's one with a bit more detail. This is after the sun has set. That's Catalina Island off in the distance about 20 miles or 33km looking South-West.

Mike
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:43 PM   #4

That's another nice sky, but I like your first picture most.

You mention that you try to pull up shadows without using HDR. I don't know what camera you have, but if it's a Nikon it may have what Nikon call their D-lighting function. D-lighting can pull up the shadows a bit from a single shot but you have to do it while it's still in the camera. It saves the picture in something they call FSCN format, so that you then have 2 shots of the same thing on your camera card, one a JPEG and the other an FSCN.

Here's a D-lighting example from a few minutes ago after I'd put the two side by side with Photoshop. The whole thing is now in jpeg, but the one on the right is from the file saved by the camera as FSCN. The shadow difference isn't big, but it's noticeable.

At first I wondered why the blue "path" in the pattern of the carpet looks to be at different angles in the two pictures. After thinking about it I remember that I rotated both pictures very slightly to the right and I must have rotated one a bit more than the other!
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote