Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Mt Blanc and the milky way

Hi everyone,

A few results from a trip to the (European) Alps dedicated to recording the ranges tallest peak (Mt. Blanc) with the milky way. Itís about a days drive away from where I live. The shot had been on my mind for a few years and decided to make it happen. Had a few unforeseen hurdles to overcome including an unplanned camp in the wild and postponing the trip by a week and a half leaving the moon out during the shoot. Hind sight these aspects greatly improved the overall experience, and possibly the photos as well.

Pentax K-5 17mm 30s iso500 f2.8. Slight star trailing as a result of a too long exposure. But I wanted a recording with a low iso.

K-5 17mm 20s iso3200 f2.8

K-1 31mm 1.8 13s at 3.10 am. These were the light conditions as they were intended to be for the full duration the shoot. Moon had set 10 minutes ago. At this time the lights of the climbers making their way to the summit have appeared on the ridge. The used lens has some pronounced coma.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:01 PM   #2

Nice pictures, I especially like the star reflections in the water.
I have yet to take a good milky way shot yet. Seems every time I can get out, there is a bright moon in the forecast.

As for my own nighttime landscape photo preference, I like to have 25% moon light out to light up the foreground, but not obliterate the stars.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:41 AM   #3

Thank you. Having some of the moon out to illuminate the foreground makes sense; I've recorded a few milky way images before without any moon and the foreground indeed turned out rather 'dead'. In this scene the mountain is illuminated by a town in the valley below, but the directional moonlight seems to bring some life and contrast to the peak as well.

I plan my milky way shots with this phone app called 'the photographers ephemeris'. Their iOS version has a night mode which shows exactly when and where the milky way will be including the altitude of the galactic centre. It's also a perfect tool for planning shots with the sun or moon and can even calculate precisely if and when the sun or moon will be where you want it to be. They also have a free web interface but I believe neither it or the android version have this night mode.

https://www.photoephemeris.com
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post

I plan my milky way shots with this phone app called 'the photographers ephemeris'.

https://www.photoephemeris.com

I have photopills for that purpose. Pretty close to the same features.
My only issue is that the phone I have now doen't have a compass in it.... grrr the version before my phone had one and the version after mine has it.... I didn't even think of checking when I bought my phone... it also effects my gps mapping software... grrrrrrr

https://www.photopills.com/
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:25 AM   #5

Amazing work done.
DSP121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:18 AM   #6

These are incredible!

Linda
Linda Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote