Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Sunset from my drone

Taken here in Huntington Beach Nov. 13th.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:52 AM   #2

Ive had one for years and just cant understand why I dont take it out more often. Your shot might get me off my ass to do something. Thanks Walter. Which drone do you have? My next one will be the pocket size Mavic. Ive seen it in action and its awesome.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:39 PM   #3

Thanks, Bynx. Yes, this is the "tiny" Mavic Air that replaced a larger one that was a pain to carry and use. I'm really enjoying it. Here is a video I made this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZYx_IIGntc
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:33 PM   #4

Excellent video. The old time directors would have loved to have had that technology. But as it is now. It seems everything has some drone shots in it. Almost lost its magnificence. Almost, but I still love it.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Viewing things from the drone's perspective continues to amaze and excite, whether it be video or still shots. I also continue to be nervous when flying the drone since bad things can happen. The Mavic Air does have collision avoidance technology (forward and backward) which certainly helps. Last year a flock of seagulls saw the drone as some kind of threat and began swooping around it until I had to land it. The only major drawback to the Mavic Air is the relatively short flight time (about 15 min. compared with 25+ on some others). That is no doubt due to its small size and weight and the size battery it can accommodate. I find, tho, that 15 minutes is more than enough, and I have 3 more batteries ready to install in about 10-15 seconds. Oh, and the Mavic Air doesn't have the range/distance that the Mavic Pro does (2.4 mi. vs. 4.3 mi.) Again, that isn't an issue with me since I usually try to fly in a range where I can visibly see the drone. Finally, there's definitely a steep learning curve since you're flying, filming, operating the remote and using the iPad Mini all at the same time.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:10 PM   #6

It would be nice if you could fly the drone exactly as if you were the pilot sitting inside. Put the goggles on and off you go. It would take a bit of getting used to but it would work Im sure. A lot better than watching from the ground and not getting left and right mixed up depending whether the drone was coming or going. But youre right, Im always excited as well seeing the perspective offered. Flying over a small forest looking straight down is an awesome sight. Also if you are into shooting waterfalls, you can get that perfect spot that few can get to.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:31 PM   #7

Such a wonderful shot it is! # The Sunset is on High.
DSP121 is offline   Reply With Quote