Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Landscape Photos

Old Mar 29, 2004, 8:55 AM   #1

Default Low tide

comments?

pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

Nice toning which dominates the entire shot. Perhaps too much. The boat or whatever in the upper right corner seems disturbing.

A pleasing shot though...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:24 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments Klaus!
I liked that boat in the upper right corner..i ve composed the photo with that in mind.. may be it doesnt produce the effect i wanted...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:26 PM   #4

Default monochrome

I like the monochrome treatment but the toning may be just a little over done. There are two centers of interest that detract from each other. One photo is of the posts and the other is of the boats but the two do not work together for me. Yes, I like the boats but the posts pull my eyes away from the boats.

Image viewing is subjective, hence this is my opinion.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:39 PM   #5

the monochrome isn't necessarily "overdone"
i do think it can use some contrast.....wat rod said is true.....the posts seem to fight the attention away from the boat.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:43 AM   #6

I think this is a spectacular image which is just about perfect as is.
It sits at a nice balance point between realism and abstraction which is helped by the color, although the color (on my monitor at least) seems just a tad too yellow.

Without the boat I believe this would be just another well composed "salon" picture. With the boat it is cast more in the direction of Walker Evans and social references. If you step away from the monitor a few feet and half close your eyes you will see just how complex and interesting the composition of this picture really is.

The only problem I see is that the two leftmost posts tend to merge with the background on the shadow side due to closeness of values. I think any overall change of contrast would destroy the delicate balance between shadow and highlight detail. Perhaps a slight amount of dodging could lighten the tone just a bit to improve apparent separation.
scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:45 AM   #7

It sits at a nice balance point between realism and abstraction which is helped by the color, although the color (on my monitor at least) seems just a tad too yellow.

Without the boat I believe this would be just another well composed "salon" picture. With the boat it is cast more in the direction of Walker Evans and social references. If you step away from the monitor a few feet and half close your eyes you will see just how complex and interesting the composition of this picture really is.

The only problem I see is that the two leftmost posts tend to merge with the background on the shadow side due to closeness of values. I think any overall change of contrast would destroy the delicate balance between shadow and highlight detail. Perhaps a slight amount of dodging could lighten the tone just a bit to improve apparent separation.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:45 AM   #8

Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:45 AM   #9

Old Mar 30, 2004, 1:57 PM   #10

Thanks guys for your comments!!
its really nice to hear different opinions on a subject and consider how people look at an image using different perspectives!!
When i composed the image ive deliberately included the boat in order to give context and make the eyes go back and forth, posts to boat and back.
I ve chosen this toning cause i wanted to give a decadent feeling and tone the sand texture. In addition the day was cloudy and i believe this tcolour tone gives the feeling of light and time.